CHAPTER 12 - FARRON

When his fear began to recede, and the thought of dealing once more with his problems no longer caused a paralysing panic to take over his ability to reason, Farron emerged from under his blankets. He knew he needed to objectively take stock of his situation; to place recent events and factors within a logical framework, and to get it straight in his mind what was important to act upon. Only then could he form a coherent plan of action.

He perched on the end of his bed, placing the bag he'd hastily packed the night before at his feet, and began to go through the facts - things he knew for an absolute certainty.

First, his life was in danger. The overheard conversation between Pellow and the stranger the previous night confirmed that beyond doubt. Every minute he stayed here in Berkeley was to expose himself to the risk of something bad happening, and the danger was only going to increase once Lord Kilvern arrived with whoever it was that accompanied him.

Second, there was a mystery to his father's and his own past that needed solving, and staying in Berkeley was unlikely to help solve it.

Third, he was in possession of a piece of last age technology that still appeared to work, even if he didn't have any idea about what it did or what it was for. Perhaps that was what these people were after? But then no - Sable said it was something in his mind that they would want. Try as he might, Farron couldn't think what information he possessed that someone might want, beyond some skills in medicine and simple surgery. Certainly nothing anybody would wish to kill for.

Then there were the unknowns, and there were plenty of them. For example; how bad would the weather get in the next few weeks now that winter had all but arrived? The snows had come early the last few years, starting mid way through November the year before, and drifting so deeply, travel had been impossible. Scores of people across the kingdom had died in freezing temperatures and howling gales in the wastes between Freetowns and Protectorates. He had no idea how to solve the problem of food either. He was no forager or trapper. He would have to knock on doors and beg - and how could he do that, looking the way he did? And then, on top of everything, he only had the vaguest notion of where he was actually going. He had no real comprehension of how far away Plymouth or Falmouth was, or how long it would take to get there when travelling by foot. He doubted that he would be able to sneak a horse out of the stables without being discovered.

One thing he was certain of though - he couldn't leave in daylight. Slipping away from the castle and passing unobserved through the Protectorate boundary would only be possible in the dark, and even then it might prove difficult given the number of patrols about.

His thoughts were interrupted by the sound of horses - many of them - coming into the castle courtyard. Shouts and orders were being given; Farron could hear Lord Kilvern's voice echoing up the passageways. His stomach gave a lurch at the thought of his potential killer having arrived at the castle. He was considering slipping out quietly via the kitchens, hopefully stealing some provisions on the way through, when there were footsteps in the corridor and a knock on the door. Farron didn't answer, but the door opened anyway. Thom Hewlett entered the room, looking distinctly uncomfortable.

"Your presence is required outside," he said.

"Why?" asked Farron. "I'm normally required to stay in my rooms when we have visitors. I thought that was Lord Kilvern's wishes."

Thom pulled at his sash and fidgeted. Farron had never known Thom look so nervous. His own nervousness increased in sympathy.

"It seems that things are different this time. His guests are quite interested in meeting you. And no, I have no idea why his Lordship thought to bring you up as a subject of discussion. I suggest you go out, keep quiet, and get it over with, then come back here and stay in your room until I tell you the coast is clear. I'll have Minna bring up some food."