Chapter 15

We hurried down the path and made it back to the oak tree. We looked around. We didn't see anyone. Then Ava pointed out a strange little sign. It read, "HLW". 

She traced her fingers along the letters, and it started to shine kind of bright. Then I reached down and pushed it with my fingers. It opened and a door emerged. I went inside with Ava. It was kind of cramped, but I guess it was only meant for one person. Then the doors closed and then we ended up in the most interesting place of all. 

"Welcome to HLW. Which stands for Headquarters of Lively Welfare," said a woman in a white uniform. I learned that you could never trust anyone in a white uniform. 

"Hello. What do you want from us?" Inquired Ava. Kind of bold to ask me. 

"We need your help. We need you to explore the city," the woman said. "It's high time that Caden pays a little visit to his parents. We need their help as much as they ours."

"Okay. I wouldn't mind a little visit, but when will we see them. And. Why do you need us to do it?" I asked.

"Because you two will have a chance to leave this ludicrous city and even the outside. You both, and many others want to leave." The woman replied solemnly. 

"But why?" Ava asked.

The woman replied and turned away, "Because I love you, and I want to protect you."