Chapter 3

"Oh honey," my mom said. "You look wonderful." I looked down at my plain dress and laughed. My mom thinks whatever I wear was really beautiful. I hated to break it to break it to her, but I looked just like everyone else. I knew that I wasn't going to be the lucky one today. I wasn't going to be able to enter the city like how I always dreamed of doing. 

I sighed and turned to my parents who quietly wrapped their arms around each other. I turned to looked at the window. I wish I could just be picked. Make it a joy to be picked.

"Hey," I turned around to looked at my dad. "Remember, I any of us get chosen to live a different life or even get to live in the city, never forget that you are different from them. Start off humbly, and work your way up. It all pays to be humble. We out here lose ourselves because we serve the inside. Those you go in there will lose themselves just the same. Never lose yourself. Don't fall for the beauty and glory. Remember where you came from and what you did. Never forget what a life they have versus what we have." I nodded my head and turned away.

We walked down to the town square. The Correctors told the news which was nothing new. They want to see more effort. They want us to try redeem ourselves even though we try, and they make us fail. The Correctors spun this enormous bin of names. Even my name was in there. I smiled a little. I thought of my name being in that bin. It was a precious thought, a precious moment of being part of something great.

The Corrector called out the names, "James Hamilton, Susy John, Jenifer Lance, John Lu, and Lance Bam." I looked at my parents. They were crying. I hugged them and smiled. My name wasn't there. I felt victorious. For once in my life, I felt like I won something. I won the feeling of not being separated from my family.