Chapter thirty-three: Big gun in the house

"I think that strange sound just saved our butts," I said. "If we're far enough, I can just fly again, take another look, see where Claes and Sean might be." We searched and hide for three hours. I flew up to the sky again and searched around for other places on this large island. Somehow, I could see my friends close to a creepy tree that I saw earlier.

"So?" Chloriette asked as I went down.

I landed safely with very disappointing news. "Not even a single sign of them." Thinking about giving up, we settled in and took a minute-long rest on a log, watching the creepy tree in front of us.

It was eight in the night according to my watch necklace. Luckily when we had time, we built a camp by setting up logs as our benches and collected large leaves as our beds. I grabbed a couple of branches and made a bonfire with my magic. Lenard was wasted, so he slept first before Chloriette could cuddle herself on those giant leaves.

I watched the stars above. I missed them so much. I tried to forget all my problems and worries for a moment. However, I still couldn't sleep, not with the Devastrigon still on my mind. What if it left its chamber and destroyed our world again? What if we never make it to Mt. Impyerno? What if there's something even worse coming because of the prophecy? I recalled what Lenard said on the first day in the Equadaux, "The legend says that the Devastrigon will once again be awakened by the opening of the doors of death in the underworld. Once its slumber is over, it will climb towards the surface and kill anything in sight, for the lord of the underworld will step onto the earth and proclaim itself as king."

What did that all mean? I still have no idea. Something to do with the lord of the underworld rising? That legend sends shivers down my spine. "Sup?" I was startled by the sudden sound of Victor's voice. "You should buy a sleeping mask when this is all over. I highly recommend it."

I chuckled, "I never thought of saving money. Plus, I move in any random position every time I sleep. The mask would end up coming off my face." We listened to the crackling sound of fire until Victor broke the silence once more. "In case we die, can I tell you something? You know, Xabe. The first time I heard about you, I was mind blown."

"You don't say, Vic?" I said.

"It's true, you know. I could barely imagine that a person like you could do such a thing."

"You can say that again," I shook my head. "Makes me the 'big gun' in the house, am I right?"

"Well . . . yeah," he nodded. "Can I be honest with you?"

"Um . . . sure. We're getting along, after all. It's nice, to be honest with one another."

"Good," Victor smiled before pulling his lips in a tight line. "Okay . . . um . . . ever since I had these magical abilities, I feel powerful. It feels great! Then I thought to myself I want to be a hero like the ones in the stories my parents used to tell me. But . . . well . . . the dragon came."

Victor looked at his left hand as he clenched it with a cracking sound. "How ironic that I wanted to become a hero but couldn't do something for others. The Dutche family lived inside a haven while the outsiders suffer throughout the years. It makes me sick. I wanted to help, you know what I'm saying?" I do. "After the witch and wendigo situation, my parents decided to send me to the Flash Warrior academy. I might be somewhat dumb, but I am not stupid enough not to train hard to become the hero that I once dreamed of. I'm pretty jealous."

"Jealous?"

"Of you." He pointed his finger at me.

I pulled my head back and my eyes widened. "Huh?"

"The way you show your awesomeness when you use your magic. The way you helped the villagers from Iris valley. Also, you have something special inside. And let me tell you a secret, my family is aware of the stories of the Dragonslayers. I even dreamed of becoming one. And now, I never would have thought of being in a quest alongside a Dragonslayer."