II - Second Encounter

The next evening, I waited by the cave entrance, wondering if he would come back. He still hadn't given me his name, which was understandable; I'd spent the day in the darkest recesses of my cave reviewing our conversation. He didn't seem heartless, just judgmental. At times, there isn't a difference, but he did have some sympathy toward me. That was nice; I hadn't sympathized toward me in a very long time.

The nights should be getting warmer even in the mountains, but I couldn't feel a thing. My nights and days were all the same: cold, dark, lonely, and thirsty. There was no real way to change that. I missed sunlight, and heat, and life. I'd get choked up about it if I could choke, but oxygen wasn't necessary. It's pretty sad when breathing is a habit instead of a necessity. Is it actually living if you're not alive? I'm not dead, either, but am I living?

He didn't come back that night, or the next, but third time's the charm, as they say. He returned three nights after his first visit, appearing as he had the first time. This time, he sat down cross-legged across from me, and for a long moment he didn't say anything, just stared at me. Finally, he spoke.

"I'm Farron. Who are you?"

For 1/32 of a second exactly, I considered giving him my actual name; then I remembered I was probably considered missing in my hometown, possibly murdered, and there was no telling how widespread- or little-known- that fact was. So I wouldn't lie, but I wouldn't give my first name.

"I'm Lynn," I answered. That would take some getting used to. Technically, I was Arya Lynn Mabel Adams, so that Mom could name me after Great-Grandma Alma who died two days before I was born, but as far as I was concerned Arya Adams died two months ago. That girl was no more. From now on, I was Lynn.

"Where are you from?" He continued, and I could tell he'd been planning questions in his absence, which would now be hurled at me.

"Florida."

"Which part?"

"Near Lakeland."

"How old are you?"

"Eighteen. Would've been nineteen in November."

"November. So you were changed before November."

Technically. "Yes."

"How long ago?"

"Not long ago."

"Months, years, decades, centuries...?"

"What's your definition of 'not long ago' if it doesn't include centuries?"

"That's not the point."

"And how long ago did you become a werewolf? How old are you?"

"I discovered my wolf at twelve. I'm twenty now."

"And where are you from?"

"Here."

"Where is here?"

He rolled his eyes. "Like you don't know?"

"I really don't. I didn't exactly stop to read the signs as I ran away from my regrets. Where are we?"

"Cedar Ridge, Tennessee. The actual town center is twenty miles from here. This is the most remote mountain in the area."

"Then why are you out here?"

"I like to run without being tracked. Why are you here?"

"I told you: to avoid hurting anyone. Is that so hard to believe?"

He leaned forward, narrowing his eyes. "Again: you're engineered to kill people. So yes, it's hard to believe that you're really not trying to kill anyone. You seem more like a cave monster of legend that lures in travelers who are never seen again."

"Great, awesome, way to make a girl feel good about herself."

"I'm not trying to make the monster feel good."

"'Monster.' Like I haven't called myself that a thousand times."

He did that sarcastic chuckle again. "I doubt it. Your kind never think it's wrong to hurt anyone, because it's 'in your nature' and what-not."

"Why are you being such a dick about this? I really don't want to hurt anyone. Do you think I'd let myself get this weak if I actually didn't care? Don't vampires usually aspire to be at full strength full-time?"

"Maybe you're just old and tired of living. I'd be too kind to put you out of your misery."

With that said, he leapt off the cliff again, and disappeared.

For two weeks, we carried on the routine. Every two or three days, he'd reappear around midnight and ask me things, and I'd ask him things. He was always hostile and disbelieving, but, besides my black widow friend, he was the only company I had. We never became friends, but we talked a lot, about many different things. I never got too personal, and nor would he. He wouldn't even tell me which direction the town was in; I never asked, but I noticed he always avoided it, and always made sure I wouldn't follow him and hadn't fed.

At the waning half-moon, he showed back up with a new urgency, so nervous I could smell it.

"What's up?" I asked as he leapt into the cave that night. He began to pace some, and then stopped and looked at me.

"I need your help, and you need mine."

I felt my brow crease. "What? Why?"

He continued pacing; I could hear his heart beating fast. He finally stopped pacing and faced me, using animated gestures as he explained. "My brother Luca is possessed by a demon. He's fighting it off but it's making him weak. If we wait too much longer, he won't be able to keep fighting. There's a witch in Montana known as the Black Witch, a dangerous woman who knows ancient demonology and powerful magic; she can help him, but she'll ask for a price. We've got that part covered; our mother is a seer and knows where we can find a Moon Crystal. If we can collect that and some belladonna and skullcaps, the Black Witch, Gilder, should help us. But I need a vampire."

"This sounds like a really personal problem and a really efficient way to get me surrounded by humans I'll be unable to stop myself from killing. I'll pass."

"Wait. There is something in it for you."

He was so desperate that I stopped myself from sprinting into my cave and ignoring his existence. Instead, I stayed seated as he addressed me directly.

"The Black Witch is rumored to be able to cure any ailment- including vampirism."

"I wasn't aware that was an ailment."

"She can turn you back. You've said you never wanted to be a vampire and that you don't want to hurt anyone; this is your way out."

"Great; I'll still eat everyone in sight on the way there, including, probably, your brother. Just let me stay here and expire slowly and painfully."

"Sorry; can't do that. Rogue vampires will attack us on sight and I won't be able to defend myself and my brother against them, but they'll respect another vampire. My godmother works in a hospital; I'll get you a hefty supply of blood-bags from willing, healthy donors. You'll be healthy and strong without killing anyone, and eventually you'll be able to be around people without any temptation at all. Come on, Lynn, please. You can save someone's life or you can sit up here and wallow in self-pity."

To my extreme amazement, he reached forward and grabbed my death-cold hand in his life-warmed one, and he stared into my eyes with his pleading olive gaze.

And to even more amazement, I gave in. I caved.

"Alright; I'll help you."

7