VI - Sequestered

Pic  is Dakota (Megan Batoon)

xxx

The van had enough room for Shea to drive, Farron to sit in the passenger seat and read the map, Dakota to sit in the captain chair with her stuff in the one next to her, Farron to lay across the backseat, and for me to sit in the very back with my hands bound in shackles. I could break them, but I didn't tell the others that; better they feel safe than me feel comfortable, right? Ugh.

The trip started out with fighting. We reached the interstate that would take us north along the western edge of the Appalachian Mountain Range, and we started out with arguments on how often we would stop and why, and what to do with me during the day, and so on and so forth. Just fighting, fighting, fighting, mostly between Shea and Farron but with added fire from Dakota. Luca just laid in the backseat and read; I eventually found a way I could sit on my heels and I read along with him. It didn't take long to figure out the book was Moby Dick; not a terrible read, but not my absolute favorite. If Luca liked it, I'd suffer through it. Not like I had a choice or say.

We were soon out of Tennessee, and headed steady north through Kentucky. There was little opposition along our path, until we stopped at the first gas station. I hunched down in the seat and we parked on the side, out of the light. Everyone gave their orders and Dakota and Shea jumped out, but Farron stayed a moment and glanced back at me.

"Do you need anything? I mean, are you thirsty?"

"I'm always thirsty," I replied. The smell from the cooler of blood-bags at my feet wasn't helping, nor was the mouthwatering scent of the innocent and oblivious individuals in the 24/7 gas station. There were three- a middle-aged man, and a younger couple, two girls. I could smell them all so clearly I had an image of exactly where they were and how long it would take me to get to them and drink them. But I really didn't need to focus on that right now. "But I'm fine for the moment. We really need to save our supply. You go ahead."

"Alright. Luca, Dakota got what you wanted, right?"

"Yeah, I'm good. Go ahead in."

Farron left the van, locking the doors. I rolled my eyes. "Why'd he lock the doors? He knows I can break them, right?"

"He knows that, but the others here don't, and no one's going to bother breaking in through them if they're locked and I'm here."

"Gotcha. So it's more for show than to keep me locked up."

Luca chuckled. "You aren't locked up. We both know that."

"Does Farron?"

"I'm not actually sure. The shackles might just be posturing, but it'll ease relations with Dakota."

He said it with some sass, and I glanced up at him from where I was hunched in the base of the trunk. "Do you not like her?"

He shrugged. "She's fine, when she's not judging everyone who isn't completely pure. She's so focused on the bad energies others produced that she doesn't realize how toxic her own judging is."

I laughed lightly. "You aren't wrong. Witches; am I right?"

He grinned. "Yeah, I guess so."

And that was it for conversation as he flipped the page of his book. I sat back and waited, and soon we were off again. It was weird how clearly I could smell the preservatives and high fructose corn syrup in their junk food; it was disgusting. Shea's cashews were coated in preservatives, almost more of that junk than protein. Dakota's gummy worms smelled absolutely atrocious; it was the worst thing I'd ever smelled, worse than Farron (who Shea smelled better than). Their drinks were full of gross artificial crap, and I would've gagged if that still happened to me. Luca and Farron gave me the most peace; they both got water, and Farron got beef jerky and Luca got a sub sandwich. The honey ham actually smelled good; none of the animals by my cave had smelled very tasty, but I hadn't really wanted them to.