Chapter 5

(A/N: this is the last chapter before the epilogue. :P )

"What did she say to you?" Asked the Doctor frantically as they marched, and Rose shrugged.

"Nothin' really. You interrupted before we could really discuss anythin-"

"Right. That's fine, that's...fine."

"Why're you so panicked? What're you hiding?"
The Doctor span around to look at Rose, shocked at her words.

"Me? Hiding? I'm not hiding anything. It's just Amy is..."
"I'm what?"

Rose and the Doctor span around. Amy was standing just behind them, arms folded, with Rory behind her.

"She's got bionic hearing." He commented idly.

"You're, well, you're you." Replied the Doctor, ignoring Rory entirely. "You don't shututp. Rassilon knows how long I'll be dealing with your comments from now on."

"I happen to think it's lovely." Said Amy curtly, wandering forward and slipping by the Doctor so she could drape an arm around Rose. "You've got yourself a girlfriend. You're not a third wheel anymore."

Rose looked at Amy, slightly awkward, and then at the Doctor, who was extremely indignant.

"I don't have girlfriends Amy."

"Could'a fooled me!" The redhead narrowed her eyes and smirked, teasing him. "I thought you weren't a typical bloke."

"I'm not."

Amy looked sideways at Rose, then at the Doctor.

"Oh really?"
"Amy," the Doctor screwed his eyes shut and put his hands on her shoulders, "stop it."

"Alright." Said Amy brightly, and then she put her hands on his shoulders, pushing him so he was next to Rose. "You two kids go enjoy yourselves." Then she took Rose's hand, and the Doctor's, and put them together. They instinctively intertwined. Amy grinned and exclaimed, "well done old boy!" Before clapping the Doctor on the back and turning on her heel to leave.

Rose and the Doctor swapped looks.

"She's a firework, isn't she?" Smirked Rose.

"Tell me about it." Said the Doctor with a roll of his eyes.

"I should be jealous," mused Rose starting to walk beside him.

"You should?" Repeated the Doctor, confused.

"Well, yeah." She paused, looking up at him. "But she said you turned her down."

"She did?"
"Yeah." Rose took one step forward, looking deep into his eyes. "Why'd you do that?"

The Doctor cleared his throat and tugged at his collar.

"Because she was engaged... Because she's my friend... Because she wasn't you."

The two watched each other for another few moments, and then Rose threw her arms around the Doctors neck and kissed him ferociously. He responded with great enthusiasm, winding his arms around her to that they held her tight to him. They revelled in the moment, of loving each other, wanting each other, and finally being with each other.

And then the Doctor felt it, a pulse through his body, like a jolt of electric. It sent him flying backwards so he hit the corridor wall and sent him sliding down it so he lay, slumped at the base. Rose gasped, feeling the sensation running through her, feeling suddenly weak. She raised one hand and observed it, flinching slightly when she saw it flicker, just like she had when she had arrived some hours before. She caught her breath and swallowed down the fear, running to the Doctor's aid.