prologue

The storm raged on, the sole member of the ship wondered if he had made the right choice, for it looked like there wouldn't be an end to the storm except for that of him going overboard.

"Of course it was the right choice," he said to himself as the wind whipped his brown hair into his face "Amin would've killed me too like he did my father."

So the brave hero pressed on. CRASH! Suddenly a lightning bolt struck the mast, sending fiery splinters everywhere. "Why did I leave on my own?" He found himself questioning "My father Darius would've helped me; he knows a lot of great shipbuilders." BOOM! Another bolt hit the deck just behind him.

Meanwhile, the boy didn't realize he was being watched by another being. "It's not his time yet Dereor," a voice said "Why must you bring forth his demise?"

"Feiwel please," Dereor said "No man of my country should flee like a coward, even in the face of death."

"So you'd have him killed, just throw his life away, I knew you were a ruthless war mistress in your time but this is going too far."

"Ah Feiwel, as we speak now, behold he is nearly where he needs to be, for he will live, his life has only begun and he shall avenge the blood that was wrongfully spilled this night,"

"Are you so sure about that," a new voice said from the shadows "because last I checked, you can't kill a wizard"

"Casper," Feiwel said "I don't recall anyone inviting you, you are no longer welcome in this council."

"Ah Feiwel," Casper said "I just wanted to see how our prodigy plans to get out of this alive, no need to be so rude about it, why you may hurt my feelings"

"Ha feelings, I didn't know rats had those"

"Why you little-"

"Shush, something's happening" Dereor said

So all three look down and see a sight, the boy was almost through. Suddenly a giant wave formed and caught the man's boat up and carried it away.

"NO!!!" Feiwel cries out, but it's too late. The boat runs right into the rocky shore and becomes completely obliterated.

The man wakes up on the shore and sees a strange man sitting by him with a staff in hand

"Oh what a relief," the man said "I was beginning to worry."

"Who are you, where am I" the young boy said.

"My name is Hershesh, and this," he says gesturing to the beach "is the south shore of Lakerelm. Now who pray tell are you?"

Hershesh looks at the boy and he says "My name is Elwyn McMasters."

"Well Elwyn," Hershesh says "How about we get you dried off and fed you must be hungry"

Elwyn looked reluctantly at the man and with some hesitation said "Yes, that sounds good."

So the two of them went together to Hershesh's home and have been together ever since

As the old man finished this tale, I hoped to be able to weather a storm such as that one. This was one of my favorite stories the elders would tell. That of even through times of trial and turmoil, throughout the worst storms, there was always a chance that we could make it through.

"Come on Eleana, we're going to miss the ceremony"

I walk with my friend Arnan and I wished to be like Elwyn. Little did I know, I would get to meet the guy myself.