Chapter 4: The Onyx Pendent

As we left the infirmary, we tried our best to follow Hershesh's instructions. We went down a hall that was made of what seemed like luminescent stones, in varying shades of blue, then turned right down another identical hall, only this time it was different shades of green, then a soft left, the another right, and so on down countless hallways to the point where our eyes hurt. As we continued on our rainbow-ish walk, I wondered many a thing: How much longer did Elwyn have? Would he survive this seemingly endless struggle? Why was Amin chasing him in the first place? And most importantly, who-or what-was Nolol?
   As I pondered these things, I didn't realize that Arnan had stopped in front of me, so I walked right into him.
"Oof." I let out.
"Elana," Arnan said "I know that you like to goof around, but please watch where you going, you almost knocked me into a table."
My face went red with embarrassment.
"Sorry Arnan," I said, "I guess I got distracted"
"Alright come on." He said. He looked at the hallway ahead of us, which lead straight to a set of doors
"These doors seem to be locked," He observed, "Maybe there is a switch or secret lever somewhere, help me look around."
We looked all over the place, under the tables, behind plants, inside suits of armor, (Arnan's idea) and we even went back to the previous hall to see if it was there. Finally, the last place to look was a bookshelf that seemed...almost out of place. We pulled out every book we could, suddenly the shelf began to move, admitting us into a secret tunnel, which, in most circumstances, would be unusual. We went into it and heard a click under our feet, then suddenly the tunnel blazed to life, twelve torches lead the way into a room with a chest in the middle. We opened it and found a key that had the same pattern as the door: Two dragons spiraling together, their wings made to look like the rays of the sun. So I was right, I thought Hershsesh is Dragonian...so why was he living in Navonia?
As I pondered these things, Arnan had wandered off...
"HEY ELANA, ARE YOU COMING OR WHAT?"
I sighed, typical of Arnan to yell from literally just outside a room. As I left the room, I noticed a slight sparkle from the corner of the room. As I picked the object up, I studied it. It looked like an ordinary piece of onyx, smooth, flat, and black, it had a strange pull to it, like it was calling to me, in fact, I was sure it was calling to me. Suddenly it began to glow, soft and dim at first, but increasingly brighter. It got so bright in fact, the room shifted away, and I saw a scene before me. The world was dark around us, the moon red, and in the darkness, I could make out the shape of Elwyn, his sword drawn, glinting as red as the moon. Before him, was Amin himself, sword drawn as well. The swords clashed together, good and evil colliding once more. I wanted to look away, for this reminded me of that moment on the road, the moment that changed my life forever. Somehow I couldn't turn away. The battle was fierce, dark cloak against white armor, sword against sword, lit suddenly by the storm around us. It went on forever. Finally, Amin knocked Elwyn to the ground, loomed over him, and kicked Elwyn's sword away.
"I killed you...somehow you survived but this time," Amin said, sword drawn above him "I will MAKE SURE YOU STAY DEAD!!!" Then he plunged his sword into Elwyn's heart.
"NOOOOOOO." I heard myself screaming
That was a mistake, I knew as soon as Amin turned to me, Elwyn's blood still on his sword. He walked towards me, sword ready, and charged.
"AHHHHHHHH." I screamed.
Suddenly I was back in the room, staring Arnan in the face.
"What happened?" Arnan asked "Are you okay."
I was too speechless. I just shook my head
" Well," Arnan said "we can talk about this later. Right now we need to find Nolol. Can you get up?"
I nodded, just now realizing I was on the floor.
   "Ok, let's go." Arnan said.
So off we went, continuing on our adventure to find Nolol. Little did we know, he was much closer than we thought.