Chapter Seventeen

Maria

Weeks had gone by since the dinner at Niko's condo. Belle and I were planning the wedding details. Even though Paolo and I were marrying in private I still wanted it to be somewhat special. Once we tell my father, he'll insist on a big ceremony that he'll want the entire family at. I wanted a huge white wedding but right now time was of the essence. I was starting to show because of my small figure. I was staring out at the city from the balcony when Paolo joined me.

"Penny for your thoughts?" He nudged my arm with his.

"Niko killed my mother and I told him I knew about it when I had dinner with him. I killed a close friend of his because she was Marco's fuck buddy. I killed Marco. I killed three people."

"You only killed two people and it was for good reasons."

"I killed the girl I used to be too. I'm becoming a monster like my father was after mama got sick."

"You're trying to protect your family and your child, Maria." He pulled me into a hug.

"I keep trying to tell myself that to justify my actions but it's not working."

"Hey, just think tonight you get to marry me." We both laughed.

"Speaking of that, I need to talk to you and Belle. She's still here right?" We walked inside to the living room.

"Yeah, she's been on the phone most of the morning and afternoon finalizing the details. I'll go get her, she needs a break anyway." He winked at me as I sat on the couch and rubbed my belly. A couple of minutes later Belle and Paolo walked into the living room and sat next to me.

"What's up? Oh, by the way everything is set for the ceremony." She smiled.

"Thank you but I need to tell you both something."

"What's wrong?" Belle had a worried look on her face.

"I want you both to be as happy as you can be so even though Paolo and I are going to be married, I would like for you guys to be together in private. Belle, I'd like for you to move into the condo with us so it's easier for you and Paolo to be together. Paolo and I will only act as a married couple when we're outside of this condo unless people are here. I know you both want to be together and this is the only thing that is stopping you so please, with my blessing be together." I smiled at them and we had a group hug.

---------------

Later that night, Belle, Anna, and I went to get our hair and makeup done for the ceremony. I had mine half up and half down, curled and pinned back for my veil to sit perfectly on my head. Anna had hers up in a ballerina bun with curls hanging around the front of her face. Belle had hers braided in a crown on top of her head. My makeup made me look like a princess and Belle's made her look like a goddess. We got to the church and we finished getting ready.

Belle was in a floor length pale pink lace one shoulder dress and she looked absolutely beautiful. We had chosen a similar dress for Anna but it was more traditional with lace sleeves and little flowers stitched in to make it look like a flower girl dress. I fell in love with my dress the first time I saw it. Belle and I had spent hours at the bridal salon looking at dresses. We must have gone through at least fifty dresses before I saw mine.

My dress was a full lace mermaid style gown with long sleeves and a beautiful lace train. The back buttoned up all the way to my neck. It was a very modest dress and it reminded me so much of the dress that my mama wore for her wedding. It was an absolutely gorgeous off white color. I would keep this dress for years to come and maybe one day Anna would wear it for her wedding. I slipped into my white Louboutins and we made our way into the main part of the church.

Paolo was wearing a simple all black tux and he looked absolutely handsome. The music started and Anna walked down the aisle followed by Belle. The wedding march began to play softly and I walked down the aisle slowly. The ceremony started as we began the wedding vows.

"I, Paolo, take you, Maria, to be my wife, I promise to be true to you in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health. I will love you and honor you all the days of my life. Maria, take this ring as a sign of my love and fidelity in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit." He slipped a solid silver wedding band with beautiful medium sized diamond onto my ring finger.

"I, Maria, take you, Paolo, to be my husband, I promise to be true to you in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health. I will love you and honor you all the days of my life. Paolo take this ring as a sign of my love and fidelity in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit" I slipped a solid silver wedding band the word 'familigia' engraved on the top onto his ring finger.

"In the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, you have now been joined together as one. You may kiss the bride." The priest motioned for us to kiss. Paolo hugged me and kissed my cheek and my forehead. I was now Mrs. Paolo Russo. I was a married woman and he had saved my child from growing up without a true father figure. We were going to go home and eat dinner as a family.