Chapter Thirteen

Maria

I was sitting there on the couch in his office, crying like a baby. I was terrified to tell him because I didn't know how he would react. He just sat at his desk and stared at me, waiting for me to talk. I stood up and started to pace. I didn't know how to say it.

"Are you going to say something or are you just going to continue wasting my time?" He tapped his fingers on the desk.

"Um, okay. I never planned this. I never went to that party to sleep with someone. I never meant to sleep with the boss of my enemy. I never meant to cheat on my fiance. I didn't mean for any of this to happen. You are this amazing man that I can't be with. It's like the universe gave me everything I wanted and tore it all away within a matter of a couple of months. I don't know how to feel about us. God, there isn't even an us. There isn't anything between us. I wish there was or that there could be. I have to be realistic and think of what's best for us. God, I keep saying us and it's not ever going to happen! I just wish that we could be this big happy family like I always dreamed of. I didn't dream that our child would be shuffled back and forth between my house and yours. I didn't dream of our child growing up in two different homes. I didn't dream of our child not having both of his or her parents there when they were tucked into bed at night. I just want us to be a family! I can't do this on my own and I know that if we could be together I wouldn't be on my own but I feel absolutely alone. I mean I couldn't even tell you I was pregnant a month ago and I can't even tell you now..." I slapped my hand to my mouth as I realized that I had spilled my guts to him.

I didn't even have a chance to look up before he had his hand around my throat and pushed me against the wall. I gasped for air and tried to pull and claw at his hand. I looked into his eyes and saw cold emptiness. "You're a liar. It's not possible. It's not mine." He threw me onto the couch and I gasped for air.

"I am not a liar. It is yours. You're the only man I've ever been with and you know it!" I screamed at him.

"You'll take care of the problem. I'll see to it that your doctor takes care of this problem." His eyes were so cold and distant. I was terrified.

"If you don't want this child then fine but you will not kill my child. This is not just yours! This child is mine!" I stood up and placed a hand on my belly.

"You will do as I say. You aren't going to keep MY child!" He shouted back at me.

"It really is true. You are a monster. I thought the things that my father and brother did was awful but you want to kill a child. Not just any child...you're child." I walked towards the door and opened it. The tears were falling like floods from my eyes. He followed me and grabbed my arms.

"You will not turn your back on me, Maria. You did this. You wanted this. I never wanted this. I don't want a child with an Italian whore." He spat the words as if I was some disgusting thing. He released my arms and pushed me away. Demitry came around the corner and stared at us. I stood up and wiped the tears from my eyes.

"You are a coward and I am a fool. You used me. You got what you wanted. You got to fuck me! You can rot in hell! You are a monster and that's where you belong. I will NEVER let you see this child!" I screamed at him. I ran down the stairs and out the front door to my car. I was an idiot. I should have never told him. I should have gotten Marco in bed and lied to him. I should have told him the child was his. I was doomed. The whole house must have heard it. The Russian boss knocked up the Italian boss' daughter. I got in the car and drove back to the hospital to be with my father.

--------------------------------

I got back to the hospital after stopping at the condo to get a few things for Anna and I. I needed some new clothes and a few other things. I wasn't planning to leave his side unless it was absolutely necessary. My phone started to ring as soon as I parked the car. Caller ID said it was a blocked unknown caller. I didn't answer. It was probably the asshole father of my child. I was royally screwed. How could he tell me to kill my child? I got out of the car, locked the doors after grabbing my bag, and walked into the hospital.

My brothers were in the room and Anna was laying in the bed with Papa. Belle was sitting in the corner, my uncle was standing beside her. Paolo was standing by the door. Marco was no where to be found, again. I sat my bag down and walked over to Papa, kissing his forehead and hugging him gently. "Do you mind if I take Paolo and Belle to get some tea with me, Papa? We won't be gone long, I promise."

"You and Anna should really go home and rest, my darling daughter. I won't wither away and die while you're gone for ten hours. You're brothers said they weren't leaving at all so I've got company. Please, I need you to be at your best and well rested." His eyes pleaded for me to go back to the condo and sleep. It would be easier to talk to Belle and Paolo there.

"As long as before I leave, you bring in four more enforcers and they don't leave the room unless you leave. They will be your shadow. It's not up for debate, Papa." I smiled as he laughed.

"Xavier can make the arrangements. I'll agree to that. You are already flourishing, daughter." He smiled and gave Anna a big hug and kissed her forehead. "Papa loves you sweet girl."

"I know Papa! I loves you too!" She giggled and planted a big kiss on his cheek. She climbed out of the bed and ran into my arms. I picked her up and held her tight. She never deserved to lose both of her parents before the age of four. Belle stood up and hugged her father. She and Paolo followed me to the car.

-----------------------------------------------

Anna was in bed sound asleep as I softly shut the door to my room. I joined Belle and Paolo on the couch. I had to tell them everything that happened. I felt the tears falling for the millionth time today. "I told him."

"You told him about the baby? What did he say?" Belle grabbed my hands and held them in hers.

"He called me a whore and told me to get an abortion. He told me that he didn't want the baby." I broke down and sobbed as I fell into Belle's arms.

"I'm going to kill him for saying that about you." Paolo took my hand.

"I should have known that was the way he was going to react. I knew going into this that it wouldn't be a happy ending." I sobbed again.

"I have a crazy idea. I know you're both going to think I'm crazy but it would benefit both of you." Belle looked between Paolo and I.

"And what's that, Belle?" Paolo looked curiosly at her. He felt something for her. I saw it from the day that they met.

"I'm only saying this because I care deeply for both of you. Maria needs saving and Paolo you need it too."

"Spit it out, Belle." I rushed her into saying whatever it was.

"You should get married. It would solve everything. You don't have to do the marriage stuff that people in love do but Maria would have a cover for the baby. Let's be honest, you're the only one that I would trust to raise my god son or daughter, Paolo. You would gain position and power too, that's something you've always wanted."

"That actually might work..." Paolo said softly. I didn't even think he would agree with the nonsense that was coming out of Belle's mouth.

"If Paolo and I got married, I would be okay with Belle moving into the condo permanently and you guys could be together. Paolo and I could be together until a couple months after the baby is born and then you guys could really be together." I was okay with that if they were.

"It's settled. We're getting married, baby." We all laughed as Paolo winked at me. I wasn't alone in this. I would have Belle and Paolo. I was going to protect my child at all costs. I didn't trust anyone more.