Prologue

Maria

Since the beginning of my life people had controlled everything. My life had never really been mine to live. I was told how to act, look, and taught to follow my husbands lead. Everyone always made my choices for me. I didn't have a normal life and I never would. I looked in the mirror and I didn't even recognize the girl who was staring back at me. She was wearing a thin smile, a floor length one shoulder black chiffon dress, black stilettos, diamond earrings, a small diamond necklace, and two diamonds on her ring finger.

She looked so different than the girl that wore the sun dresses that came in all the bright colors and didn't care about dressing to impress people. She used to be happy. She used to live a life that seemed to be going according to plan, well, her father's plan. She royally screwed it all up. She made a simple mistake that changed the outcome of her life forever. She fell in love with the wrong person. She got hurt and hurt badly. She swore she would never love again or give herself to someone without knowing exactly what they were capable of.

It was hard to believe that the girl I was seeing...was me. This unhappy and extremely terrifying girl was me. This fierce, strong, brave girl was me. I suppose you shouldn't ever underestimate what sudden changes, pain, and heartbreak can make you become.