Text Me

Underlined = Brian Martinez (Man/Boy)

Italic = Zariya Allen (Woman/Girl)

Bold = Both

It's 9:51pm and I wasn't trying to think of you, and yet here I am again. I try to resist these thoughts, I promise to god I do, but you and I both know that I could never resist anything that has to do with you!

It's 9:52.. and my face is lit up my my iPhone's screen instead of the moon, because for some reason even the pixelated version of your eyes shine ten times better than the stars ever do!

Listen.. to the thought that go through my head before I decide whether or not you'll think that I'm annoying as shit for texting you first.

I think maybe he's busy..

That's why he/she didn't watch my Snapchat story, like my Instagram post, or my status I posted 17 minutes ago.

I think maybe he's just lost his phone in a mass of bed sheets..

That boy is going crazy, wondering if he's missed a call from me, I do not worry at all.. I know he'll text me

I tell myself she's busy..

Her/his phone died and his/her charger got stolen at a bus stop!

She's busy..

I tell myself not to text him first. It shows weakness in a man. Women are not weak. Let her/him come to me.

It's 9:53.. Three..

The amount of dogs I saw at the part today. What if her dog died?! I'd be devastated! I wouldn't want to text anybody either, so I understand!

Maybe there are things more important than me. She's planning a funeral for a loved one..

It's 9:53.. Three..

The amount of girls, or should I say, HP copy machines that decided to do the kind service of copying his history homework this morning. Like we don't all know that Christopher Columbus sailed the ocean deep! Stop being so lazy! Do your own homework! Homework..

I tell myself he's busy because he's doing homework, not because he'd much rather relive the cold war than talk to me..

It's 9:54..

And as time passes, her eyelashes turn my stomach into butterflies and fireflies and why do I-

New message..

She texted me.. Every centimeter of my body interested, she was busy now she isn't, yeah she wrote me up a message! Let me up and push the button, I'm excited just to see--

"Hey, yo, what's up, homeboy? You wanna meet me up and Nico down at the court?"

NO!

Typing...Typing...Typing...

I told you not to text me, I've been waiting for my queen, the girl that drives me crazy, I can see her in my dreams..The only place she isn't is the image on my screen, her beauty is the beauty the world has never seen!

But now it's 9:55..

And I think "Hey, maybe I should text him, leave my pride and nervousness behind and just forget them!" but why should I have to be the one that goes out on the limb?! He's the boy, he's the one that's supposed to do this!

It's 9:55..

And I'm tired of waiting for this boy to realize. Five Minutes ago she posted this picture with this guy. And five minutes ago I decided that these feelings were a lie, it's funny how love can make you romanticize..Turning a slight glance at you during class into something so sublime when in reality he/I just needed the answers to number 2 and number 5.

It's 9:59..

And I don't need you. When the teacher asked me "What elements were necessary to maintain human life?" I told them; nitrogen, hydrogen, oxygen, and you! Now you're like uranium, but you like your heart, but it's the only thing that's powering mine!

And I don't know why you haven't called yet. And I don't know if this is true, but hey, wouldn't it be crazy if you were lying awake right now thinking about me too, what the hell are you scared for? It's not like the world will be destroyed by some kind of atomic bomb.. The worst thing that will happen is you don't respond!

Now it's 10:00..So what's it gonna be?

Typing...Typing...Typing...

"Hey..."

Typing...Typing...Typing...

"Hey."

"I was just thinking about you.."

-Created and produced by Youth Speaks/Brave New Voices (Poem written and performed by Brian Martinez & Zariya Allen)