The Story of Tonight (Reprise)

"I may not live to see our glory," Laurens had announced. I thought it was the beginning of a certain oration due to the celebration of me being newly wedded to the wonderful, also wealthy, Elizabeth Schuyler. The drunken Laurens went on, rambling about the odds of how I, a noticeably penniless man such as myself could indeed marry. Lafayette chimed in, and cheered, "To freedom!" and in unison we all raised our glasses. The Revolution was coming, just as I had begged for it to. Although my mind was oblivious, and my thoughts were not in a straight line, I could still collect an amount of sense of the event that could give the men our nation deadly wounds. Nevertheless, we cheered on. Why stand and wait and worry for things to come instead of taking opportunities?

These were my companions, and although they did not visualize a legacy, or ponder over death, like myself, these men would help shape what I am to become. All four of us laughed and drank and partied the night away, it was a celebration after all.
By this time I was clueless in my surroundings, and so were the others, when the door had opened, revealing an unexpected guest.

"Mr. Burr!" I exclaimed, a little too loudly.
Burr smiled. "Mr. Hamilton, good evening."
I set my glass down. "I thought you would not be able to come, sir."

Burr shifted, and put his hands behind his back in a proper manner. "Just to be certain, Mr. Hamilton, I came to say congratulations."
I smiled, proceeding to thank him when Mulligan had interrupted - "Well, if it isn't Mr. Prodigy?"
Clearly uncomfortable, Burr stepped back. "I see your companions are here as well." He said this just as Laurens and Lafayette mumbled something inaudible. I turned to them, then back to Burr, and chuckled,
"Ignore them, sir, I should say congratulations to you, Lieutenant Colonel. I wish I had your position, for I greatly dislike being a secretary."
Burr looked at me as if the previous statement was false. He shook his head.

"You do not."
"Indeed I do."

Burr shook his head once again.
"Nonsense. From everything I heard you're rather necessary to the general."
I nodded, seeming to agree with him, but being a secretary would not fulfill my desire.
Laurens interrupted, carrying the conversation to a rather different topic.
"Well - I heard you have a certain someone, now, do you not, Burr?"
I furrowed my brow in both confusion and in bewilderment.
"Is that true?" I questioned. Yes, I was indeed baffled by the news, if it was truthful.
Laurens continued, "What must you be hiding?"
Burr inhaled sharply. "It's about time I should go," he announced as he turned to walk out. I stopped him halfway and said, "No, Mr. Burr, stay here. My friends will go." The three drunken men protested, but they all soon went out the door.

After they had left, I turned to Burr. "It's alright, Burr, no need to be embarrassed. I wish you had brought her here."
He inhaled once again, and let out a sigh. "That's very kind, Mr. Hamilton, of you to say, but unfortunately it is unlawful."

"Whatever do you mean?"
"She's already married."
"...I understand."
"To James Marcus Prevost, a British officer."

This piece of information left me with nothing but perplexity. With what was even more baffling was his expression. He looked as if the previous conversation had never been spoken!
He smiled, as if he hadn't told me his secret, as if that secret wasn't the only reason he wanted to speak to me.
Burr swiftly changed the subject.
"Congratulations once again, Alexander. Remember to smile! It is your wedding after all.
'Til we again after the war."
Yes, I did smile, although it did not feel genuine.

What was it with this man?

Why would he just stand there, not accepting the opportunities attempting to grab his attention?
Why would anyone just wallow in their shame, and wait for, well, nothing?
These questions were begging to be answered as I spoke,
"I will never understand you and your ways, Mr. Burr.
If you truly love this woman, pursue her! What must you persistently be waiting for?"
Burr was almost out the door, noticeably trying not to listen. He hesitated, then said, "I'll see you on the other side of the war, Mr. Hamilton," and the door had shut.

I looked to the ground, then to the door. There was no convincing this man of anything.
I then shook my head and spoke to nobody in particular,
"I'll see you on the other side of the war."