Chapter 2

The next morning, Turtle was ready and at the base of Bluebell's tree with his basket when she came down. She had her pack with her, a beautiful bag made of woven green leaves and pink flowers, which she was carrying in her claws. She dropped it next to Turtle, then perched herself on the branch of a bush.

"So, do you want to start out walking?" Turtle asked.

Bluebell shook her head. "You go ahead. I'll fly."

"Okay." Turtle replied. "See you later."

Bluebell grabbed her pack and took off, her gorgeous aqua color outlined against the clear indigo sky. Turtle watched her go, and when she was out of sight he turned and headed down the dirt trail.

A little ways down, Turtle got to the edge of the forest. This was where he, Bluebell, and Pine used to play together when they were younger. He hadn't gone there since Pine had left, though. He took a deep breath and stepped in.

It felt cool inside the forest. Turtle remembered playing hide-and-seek and tag in and out of the towering oaks and pines. The familiar scent of crushed pine needles wafted around him. This was somewhere he liked to be.

Turtle walked on. Suddenly he heard a mad frenzy of chirping and looked up to see Bluebell dive-bombing through a break in the canopy. She struck him with so much force that he tumbled into a tree. He heard a mew as a streak of blue flashed past him.

Turtle closed his eyes and breathed deeply, trying to clear the ringing in his head. When he looked in front of him, the view amazed him.

Sitting in front of them was a blue jaguar cub with green spots and sparkling green eyes, washing her face. He'd heard myths about the blue jaguars, but didn't know they really existed.

Bluebell seemed just as awed as him by the startling confrontation. She stared respectfully at the large cub, who was now peering curiously at the pair.

Turtle was the first to speak. "Are you really a blue jaguar?" He asked in disbelief.

The cub swished her tail. "Of course!" She purred. Prancing around them, she chanted:

"I am Leona,

The prettiest cat,

With bright green eyes

And spots to match!"

She stopped prancing and began to groom herself again. Turtle and Bluebell continued to watch her every move. After about a minute, she looked up. "Well, what do you wish?"

Turtle's voice caught in his throat. "What?"

Leona began prancing once more. "Do you not know? If you meet a blue jaguar, you get three wishes. What do you wish?"

Turtle looked at Bluebell. "What are our travel plans?"

Bluebell took a leaf out of her pack and studied it. "Well, I was planning on going through the forest, around Water World, then taking Magic Street down to Fairytale Circle and board the Squinkie Jet to Squinkieville."

Leona widened her eyes. "You're going to Squinkieville?"

Bluebell looked at her. "You've been?"

"I was there once, back when I roamed Fantinova. Now I live in a cave here in the forest."

"Do you live alone?" Bluebell asked.

"No. My friend's mother adopted my sister and me."

"That sounds nice. I used to live with my brother until he moved."

"Have you ever been to Squinkieville?" Leona asked.

"I have." Bluebell replied. "I'm from there. But Turtle here hasn't."

"That sounds nice. I hope you have fun."

"Would you like to come with us?" Bluebell offered.

Leona swished her tail. "It would be nice to go back, but I'm probably too big to fit anymore."

"Right..." Bluebell answered thoughtfully. Leona was about the size of twenty Squinkies.

"If you want," Leona told them, "You could take the wishes with you."

"What do you mean?" Turtle asked.

"Since I'm not going," Leona explained, "You can take the wishes to Squinkieville and where you can still use them even thought I won't be there to grant them. Or," she added, "I can go with you as far as Fairytale Circle, and you can use them along the way."

Bluebell looked at Turtle. "I think we'll take them with us," she said, "But would you like to come to Fairytale Circle with us anyway?"

Leona twitched her nose. "I'll go check with my family. I'll be right back." She dashed off.