Chapter 1-The River

Chapter 1-The River

Alyssa's P.O.V.

It's the same day as it will always has been. Sitting at the back of the Maths class, I watch the teacher demonstrate how to answer the questions then complete the only because I am that invisible student that absolutely no one cares about! I've had friends but that was before all the pain followed the one sorrowful day. Since that day speech has become a feeble thing, one where words are spoken at the correct time and are kind things but, as I am imperfect like all humans some words can skip past my thoughts, mistakenly from unexpected situation. My ex-friends accepted it for a time, thinking after a few weeks I'll grow out of it. Those weeks turned into months, the weak conversations between us wedged us apart as the majority of the discussions were about boys. Such a meaningless discussion for teenage boys are hormonal jerks, this wedge resulted in them to stop caring and to move on.

Since I don't have friends nor want to anyone too close to me, because of what may happened, outfits consisted of those that didn't that scream 'I'm a happy, friendly person' with the cute tops, skirts etc. My whole wardrobe consists of one pair of black Nike trainers with white soles, three hoodies; plain tops that cover my arms, five pairs of jeans and finally my favourite grey hooded sweatshirt with a studded picture of Elmo; and of course pyjamas and underwear. Duh!

Anyway, back to school, I love it. Especially math, I don't know what it is, maybe that fact that the correct answer is unchangeable and will be the same no matter what. Yeah I know but you can't exactly blame me, here I don't have to think about Andre, the father that's supposed to protect me from danger, not be the danger. He lost the title of father when he started drinking, which led to the abusive actions on his part. It started off as just when he had a stressful day at work or when he got sad and drunk but not until a two years ago it became a daily routine for us, Andre would come home at some time round *9:00* drunk, telling me to bring him his dinner. If I was to do anything, he didn't like such as the house wasn't tidy or if dinner wasn't to his liking then the punishment will surely follow.

That reminds me, I have to go to the grocery store to buy the ingredients we were missing in the kitchen, foundation to cover the bruises and more cream to help heal them, which is pointless since it's a continuous cycle.

The bell rings indicating the end of Math and the end of the school day. YEAH!!! Now I can go home and have a blissful evening with Andre. (Note the sarcasm). As I leave the class, I pull my backpack over my shoulders and exit Riverdale High school. Reaching into the front pocket of my backpack, I pull out my phone and plug in my earphones to listen to my BTS playlist the only time I had left with my ex-friends. I begin the adventurous journey to the grocery store.

***

My journey ends as I stand before the gates of...

Wait for it...

...Lidl. I go to feed the trolley beast a pound coin in order to help carry the groceries on the top-secret mission. I glide the trolley to embark on this dire mission.

***

Unfortunately, it didn't end as long as I hoped but better luck next time. Luckily, though, I didn't have to buy a lot, making it that much easier to carry the shopping on the walk home.

When I reach home, I'm greeted with no car on the driveway, which just put my heart at ease. I entered the house and dance my way to the kitchen due to the fact I haven't taken out my earphones. Dancing, I was still able to put away the groceries while taking out ingredients for mac 'n' cheese: pasta, butter, milk, plain flour, cheddar, bacon bits and broccoli. To cut down time I took a shower, avoiding the dreadful creature the mirror will create if I were to look.