Chapter 4

• Dedicated to Molly

Chapter 4

We walked up to my room right at the top of the house the attic. She got her laptop from downstairs; she had dropped it around early this morning.

I got my laptop and sat on my bed. We both sat in silence.

“Sooo....” I tried to break the silence “what do you to look for first?”

“Well maybe the family records?” Melody said spitefully.

“Woahhh what wrong with you.”

“Nothing is wrong.” She was getting angrier. But me being me I don’t leave people alone. It usually makes thing worse though.

“Mel I know something wrong. You can’t lie to me that easily.” I folded my arm and tilted my head.

She sighed deeply turning to face me. “You will think it’s stupid.”

“No I won’t, just tell me.”

“I’m jealous okay.”

“Jealous?”

“Yes jealous!”

“Of who?”

“You and.... Makala.”

“Why Mel, why are you jealous?”

“Because you two are so special, a... and Me. Well I’m just human. Boring and nothing. And here we are sat doing homework about you and your family. They don’t even know it is you.”

“Mel you are special too. You Makala and Jess are my best friends. I could ever ask for anything more special.”

“Yeah but I’m still human.”

“And so am I, but I’m just different.” I walked over to her a pulled her into a hug.

“Should we look on the internet for our homework?”

“Only if you want to.” I realised her out of the hug. She walked over to her laptop where she typed something in. I stared at her for about five minutes. She suddenly changed. It was as if it wasn’t her she got over her emotional break down so quick. She just carried on reading the text on the screen.

“Well don’t make me do all the work you start finding stuff.” She said pointing to the other side of my room where my laptop was. I obediently went over there and started to type things into Google.

“Oh my gosh!” Melody started jumping with happiness. “your blood...it works on humans. One drop it’s all I need. I would be special to.”

“Melody I won’t let you have any of my blood. We don’t know what it would do to you.”

She slowly started to walk over to me. Her eyes were just focused on my wrist. Her eyes had changed from the aqua blue to a clouded shade of grey. As she came closer she sniffed the air, and licked her lips.

“Mmmm your blood smells nice.” She whispered just loud enough for me to hear.

“Melody...please stop. your scaring me now.”

“I’m not Melody stupid human. I took her body after your emotional talk. Which I have to say was lovely very touching. I tried to use that, as you saw but seeing as you wouldn’t let me have any I will take it by force.” The thing, that had taking Melody, growled at me. It started to walk faster now still focusing on my wrist. I stayed where I was. “You aren’t even going run? Please human at least make it fun for me.”

I still stayed where I was. I was frozen. No one was home. I was here by myself. No one could save me. A tear fell down my cheek. I was so scared.

“Don’t cry it will only hurt for a while. Wait maybe I will be nice and kill you first. Oh no I can’t blood would be normal then.” He laughed in a sinister way.

Kill me. That’s not happening.

I started to run towards the door of the attic. I didn’t look behind me to see where the body snatcher was.

“This is more like it.” His voice rung through my ears, it sounded much closer than I thought it would be.

It jumped in front of the door before I could open it. I backed away as it came closer. With each step it bit the air between us.

“Do you know what? I feel very awkward doing this in your friends body form. I think I will change to my own. And don’t think about running away in the transition because your friend will be still here.”

I wanted to get away but Melody would still be there. Suddenly I thought of something.

“Wait!” It stopped what it was doing and looked at me.

“What, you’re not going to leave her here are you?” He said holding back a laugh.

“If you kill her I will kill myself.” I watched his jaw clench. “I will know if you have killed her because of the bond we have.”

“And what’s that then.”

“A witch I know casted a spell so we would feel each other emotion.” He clenched his Jaw again. “So if you kill her I will kill myself. And I will know.”

Melody’s body started shaking and another body was starting to peel apart from hers. I didn’t stick around to see the rest I ran down stairs and out into the cold, dark, empty streets.

I suddenly fell in pain. A short sharp pain was now on my wrist. I tried ignoring it; I got up and ran faster down the poorly lit street. The only thing I hate about Britain is how quickly it gets dark in the winter. Another surge pain fell down the other arm. I took a deep breath and carried on running.

I felt weak and tired. I looked at the door in front of me. 65 St Patricks road, Makala’s house. I knocked loud and hard with my fist on her door. My hand was throbbing afterwards.

When the door opened I let out a loud scream.