Chapter 18

Week 7

After Leah and Clark had recovered from the wonderful news in the ER, they decided not to tell their family and friends quite yet. Not until they've seen Leah's OB-GYNE and could confirm how far along she was.

Leah was on cloud 9 as Clark took her home. There was a tiny little life growing inside of her now, a part of her and Clark, something that they made together. She was so happy that she felt like she could burst, and she knew Clark wasn't much better. He couldn't wipe the grin off his face.

The next few days passed by slowly as they waited for Leah's appointment to come. Now that she knew she was pregnant, the symptoms were coming out in full force. Leah was constantly tired. She would wake up in the morning and after taking a shower all she wanted to do was crawl back into bed again. The morning sickness also made an appearance, although Leah felt nauseous at any time of the day except mornings. She often had a vomiting spell after lunch, which made going to work difficult. Clark convinced her to take time off until they could see her doctor and Leah reluctantly agreed. They told everyone that she had the stomach flu and needed to rest.

"Ate..." Jenny knocked on her door. "Ate, may dala po akong pagkain para sa inyo."

Leah lifted her head up from her pillow tiredly. It was almost ten in the morning and she had only gotten out of bed to pee and rinse her mouth but Leah's body felt as heavy and as exhausted as if she had run a half-marathon.

"Pasok," she said.

Jenny came in carrying a tray. "Sabi ni Kuya bantayan ko kayo habang wala siya at hindi pa kayo bumababa at kumakain kaya ito, nagluto ako."

She placed the tray on the bed. On it was a plate of garlic rice, hotdog, and eggs. The smell of garlic wafted up Leah's nose, making her feel nauseous. She covered her mouth and made a beeline for the bathroom, retching into the toilet.

"Ate!" Jenny ran into the bathroom and lifted her hair back. "Tawagan ko po si Kuya?"

"Hindi," Leah said once she recovered from her vomiting spell, sitting back on her haunches in front of the toilet. "Normal lang 'to."

"Ha?"

"I mean, sa sakit ko. Pasensya na, Jenny. Medyo hindi pa yata ako makakakain ng solid food."

"Sige po. Gusto niyo ng soup?"

Leah nodded.

"Okay, gagawa ako."

She waited until Jenny had left with the tray of food to come out of the bathroom. She curled back onto the bed. Leah hated how tired she felt all the time but all she had to think of was the little life growing inside her, draining her energy, and it was enough to put a smile on her face as she fell back asleep.

When the day of their appointment came, Clark and Leah were at the doctor's office early. Leah kept fiddling with her hands until Clark finally put his own over them. He held her hand, intertwining their fingers.

"Hindi ko alam kung mas excited ako o kinakabahan, hubby," she told him.

"Bakit ka kinakabahan?"

"Di ko alam. Minsan kasi parang hindi totoo. Paano kung sabihin niya mali pala yung ER?"

"After all your symptoms, I think you're definitely pregnant." Clark smiled.

"Leah Medina," the nurse called.

Clark pulled a nervous Leah to her feet and the nurse showed them into the doctor's office. After giving Leah a gown and some instructions, the nurse left them on their own. Leah undressed and put on the gown then settled onto the exam table. Clark took her hand again.