Chapter Four

Irene gasped as she turned around to meet her father-in-law's eyes. She griped the railing tightly as she took in his smug face.

Antony Smith though old, didn't look so in appearance. He still had a firm built with just a few grey hairs and wrinkles on his face and hands. The Smith's always maintaned themselves in every way they could. It was something Irene had always admired about them.

'What are you doing here?' Irene asked with a shaky voice, knowing fully what a stupid thing it was to ask. Many rich people came to such a chairty auction. It was of no wonder that her father-in-law would also be in attendance as he was one of the richest men in this town. Irene looked at him with wide eyes, wondering just how the hell did he recognise her, even though her face was covered by a mask.

Antony tsked. 'Is that the way you greet your dear father-in-law? I thought you'd be happy to see me.'

'You're not my father-in-law, not anymore.' Irene replied, gritting her teeth.

Antony laughed, and took a step towards her, making her take a step back. 'Come on honey, you wound me with your words, didn't I always take care of you? Now come over here and give me a hug.'

Irene looked at Antony's streched out arms and shook her head fiercly. 'Leave me alone.'

She didn't want to think about just how well he took care of her. Instead, she took a step back again.

Antony frowned, as if he didn't understand why Irene was reacting this way. 'Leave you alone? Honey you need me, aren't you glad to see me after so long?'

'I don't need you!' Irene all but shouted as the tears began forming in her eyes. 'Just go away! Leave me alone!'

'Irene?' Cassie spoke as she stepped  out in the balcony and looked at the both of them. 'Is everything alright here?'

Antony took a step back and flashed his teeth at Cassie. 'Everything's just fine, was just catching up with Irene over here, I'll get going now, good to see you again Irene, let's talk sometime later.' With those words and a wicked look in his eyes Antony walked away leaving the two of them alone.

Cassie slowly walked towards Irene and rubbed her arms. 'Hey, what's wrong? Who was he? And why were you shouting at him?'

As much as Irene wanted to sob and cry out to her friend, explaining every thing, she didn't have it in her to go again through the pains of her past. So she shook her head and swallowed thickly, willing the tears to go back. 'Let's just get out of here alright?'

Cassie pursed her lips in a thin line but said nothing. Irene knew that they just got over here and Cassie didn't want to leave so soon, but they had to. Irene knew she couldn't face her father-in-law again.

'Alright, let's get you home.' Cassie replied with a sad smile and the two of them made their way towards Cassie's car.

Once inside, Irene could not help but curse herself. What was she thinking? Of course her father-in-law would've been here at this party. Why did she even agree to go? The Smiths were present at every rich parties in this town. You cannot attend these parties if you wished to avoid them and Irene had reasons enough to keep avoiding them.

'I'm sorry Cassie.' Irene sighed. 'I didn't mean to mess up tonight, I told you, you shouldn't have taken me with you.'

Cassie shrugged and smiled at Irene. 'Hey, it's alright okay? These parties come and go, it's not a big deal.'

'Really? Are you sure you're not mad at me?' Irene asked, shifting in her seat, feeling bad about dragging her friend away from the party just because she couldn't handle a man that had destroyed her life in so many ways.

Cassie nodded. 'Truly, don't worry about it.'

Irene sighed, thanking for Cassie being a wonderful friend.

'But that doesn't mean I'm letting you get away with this just so easily.' Cassie spoke and Irene looked at her friend with wide eyes.

Cassie laughed and hit Irene's arm playfully. 'Don't look so striken! You've just got to buy me a jar of nutella, that's all, nothing serious!'

Irene relaxed and shook her head. 'You and you're obsession with nutella.'

'Hey! It's nutella we're talking about duh!'

Irene smiled, momentarily forgetting about everything else.

The next day, Irene was lost in her thought yet again when her boss Patrick poked her arm.

'Oh, sorry, didn't see you there.' Irene spoke as she flushed guiltily.

Patrick narrowed his eyes at her and shook his head. 'I'm not in the mood to scold you right now, so consider this you're lucky day, just wanted to inform you that we're having a small celebration party booked on for tonight and you'll be serving them along with Jenna.'

Irene nodded. 'What are they celebrating for anyway?'

'It's an enagement celebration, they want to keep it short and simple with only their family in attendance.' Patrick replied.

Irene frowned. Who would want to celebrate their engagement with just their own family? Where were the friends and others? Irene shook her head at herself. It was of no buisness to her if the couple wanted to celebrate their engagement on a low key.

'Alright I'll be here tonight, but...' Irene broke off, feeling shy at what it was that she wanted to say.

Patrick smiled at her knowingly. 'I'll pay you for tonight Irene, don't worry.'

Irene smiled. 'Thankyou.'

Patrick nodded his head at her. 'Don't be late, be here exactly at eight, if we weren't short staffed, you wouldn't have to work more than you already do.'

'Its alright boss, I could do with the extra money anyway.'

'So you'll be serving tonight?' Cassie asked when Patrick stalked off into the kitchen.

'Apparently yes.' Irene replied as she went on to clean the tables.

'Ooh, I wonder who these people are! It's been months since anyone celebrated anything here at all.' Cassie spoke, chewing her gum, her eyes excited at the thought of a change in routine.

Irene nodded her head in agreement. 'Well, we'll find out, won't we?'

Just then Jenna came and stood in front of them. 'See you tonight darling.' She spoke before strolling inside the kitchen leaving Cassie with a grimace on her face.

'You still haven't told me about her, you know?' Irene asked amused.

Cassie scoffed. 'Later.'