Chapter Six

Over the next couple of weeks, my squad and I grow closer and closer. We spend every school minute together, and a lot of out of school time at the mall with each other, or at one of our houses. Everything is perfect. One day after school, we are all on the bus, going to my house. We get there, and I can tell, even before I open the door, that something strange is going on. I turn the front door handle, and when I open it, I'm looking at a cat. It's one of those ugly cats, Persians, that looks like it ran face first into a bus.

"Oh my god, he's so cute!" Lucy squeals. "You never told me you had a cat!"

"No one told me I had one either," I frown.

"Mum!" I yell.

My mum comes running down the stairs, beaming from ear to ear.

"So, have you met Percy?" she smiles.

"Percy?" I ask. "First, you get a cat. Not just any cat, but one of the ugliest cats ever. Then, you name him Percy?"

I scoop the cat up in one arm.

"Where are you going?" mum asks.

"My room," I say.

My friends follow me as I storm up the stairs and into my bedroom. The dark brown ball of fluff mews, and squirms around in my arms. This is the first time my new friends have ever come round, and they probably think my family is full of crazy people! A mum who randomly buys cats named Percy, and a daughter who screams at her about it. I swing open my bedroom door.

"Tadaa! My room," I say to my friends.

"This is so cool!" Ava says.

"Thank you," I smile.

I shut the door, and place the cat down. He sits down on the floor and stares at me, with his big green eyes.

"I guess you're kinda cute," I whisper to him.

My friends smile.

"Woah, I love the details on your wardrobe door!" Alice says, running her hand over the flowers engraved in it.

"Isn't it cool? But that's not the coolest thing about my wardrobe," I tell my friends.

I open my wardrobe door, and gesture to the bench.

"You have one of these!" Taryn squeals excitedly.

"One of what?" Lucy asks, detaching herself from the cat.

"A wardrobe bench. My grandmother has one. In the war, the woman and children would hide in them in case their house blew up," Alice tells us.

"Wait, hold up. Hide in them?" I ask.

"Yes. They open. Have you not opened yours yet?" Taryn asks.

"You make it sound like it's a present!" I laugh.

"Okay, I'll open it. Count me down," I say.

One look at Avalyn tell me that she's thinking about when we went on the swings at midnight a couple of weeks ago.

"3," Lucy counts down.

"2," Taryn says.

"1," Alice continues.

"Go!" Ava yells.

I lodge my fingers under what is the 'lid' of the seat, and shove it up.

"Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh!" I say.

"What's in it?" Alice asks.

"Vintage clothes!" I yell.

I take out a large red floppy hat with a ribbon wrapped around the head. Next out is a 50's dress, made out of the same colour as the hat. I pull out a black jacket, and a pair of leather boots. There's an entire outfit in here! All that's left is a few books, which I'll give to Wren, and a locket.