Chapter Twelve

We don't talk much after the night that we call the Night of Secrets. We all fall asleep. But when I wake up, I find four pairs of eyes stuck on me.

"Um... hi?" I say awkwardly.

"I have had an epiphany," Taryn announces.

Lucy clears her voice and glares at Taryn.

"Okay, we have had an epiphany," Taryn sighs.

"What's our epiphany?" I ask, sitting up straight, interested.

"Well, you know how most schools have school counsellors, or therapists?" Alice asks.

I nod.

"And you know how our school, well, doesn't?" she continues.

I nod again.

"Well, we've decided to set up a student counselling system. Students in trouble are paired up with students facing, or who have faced the same problem. We've emailed our homeroom teacher with our idea, and she thinks it's brilliant. She's going to talk to the principal about it!" Taryn explains.

"And if someone wants to sign up, they can fill in a form! There can be different categories, like grief, and depression, and anxiety and panic attacks. Ooh, I love this idea so much!" I scream.

Ava has her laptop propped up on her knee, and lets out a little squeal.

"Miss Starre has emailed us!" she shouts.

"Read it out!" Lucy urges.

"Hello girls.
I've spoken to your principal about your idea, and he loves it!
We've booked you girls a meeting with a counsellor, and she's going to take you through some basic rules of counselling. You girls can be in charge of this programme.
Would you mind speaking to the school about it on Monday?

Sincerely,
Miss Starre."

Ava reads it out, and we start partying. We're setting up a student counselling system! On Sunday Alice's mum drives us up to the counselling place. We get out of the car, and walk up to the front desk.

"Hi! You must be the girls here to talk to Dr. Marie," the receptionist greets us.

"Yes, we are," Taryn grins.

"Please go right through. She'll be in Office 3."

We walk down a hallway, and stop outside of Office 3. I knock on the door, and then take a step back so we're all bunched up. The door opens, and a young lady with glasses and long brown straight hair opens it.

"Hi, you must be Dr. Marie. I'm Avalyn, and this is Alice, Taryn, Lucy, and Alouette," Ava introduces.

"Hello girls! Emily, Miss Starre, told me about your idea, and I love it!" she invites us into her office.

We all take a seat. For the next hour, we run mock counselling appointments, so we can be prepared for every event. Dr. Marie helps us organise and print out both fliers and sheets to fill in to book an appointment. With each mock appointment, I get more and more excited for this to start! Just before our time is up, I bring up the idea that's been sitting in my mind since last night.

"Dr. Marie, is it possible for us to book personal appointments? Does it cost much?" I ask.

"For you girls, it's free. Because of this school counselling thing, you girls could come here for no cost. Are you interested in booking one?" she asks.

"Yes. 5 separate appointments, please. One for Lucy, one for Alouette, one for Taryn, one for Alice, and one for me," Ava tells her.

"Actually for my one I'd like to bring my sister with me. Her name's Wren," I add.