Two

A/N: Hey guys! I am so sorry it took so long for this update; school is crazy enough, add in a job and actually needing to sleep, you guys can imagine the chaos. Anyway, this update is finally done, and I hope you guys like it! P.S., a little bit of this chapter is from personal experience, so enjoy reading!

It took me three calls from Alya, my best friend, five texts from Nathanael, one of my other friends, and half of a dozen cookies to convince me to stop worrying about getting a call back. I could check tomorrow morning.

Never the less, sleep that night did not come easily. After all, if I didn't get a call back, all of the hard work I had done would amount to an astounding zero. It was terrifying, knowing that my entire dance career quite possibly rested on this audition. In addition to my doubts about getting a call back, I now had the stress of working at the theatre and helping little kids learn how to dance; starting tomorrow. I remembered being that young and looking up to my assistant like she was a goddess living among us. She, unlike the teacher, was young and free, but she danced like she had lived a thousand years and danced through all of them.

Now I was that assistant. I had massive expectations to live up to. Expectations that should not be required of a fifteen year old.

Looking at the clock, I saw that it was nearly two in the morning, and yet I hadn't slept a wink. After sitting up, I crept down the stairs and set the kettle on the stove, pulling out a chamomile tea bag and draping it over the side of my mug. I pulled out my phone, refreshing my email one last time for the night, hoping that I had somehow overlooked the email from Mme. Gertrude. As I watched the wheel turn, my heart began to race with every passing second. Finally it refreshed, revealing to me twelve new emails.

"Pinterest notification, Pinterest notification, new comment on Wattpad," I murmured, chewing my lip. "Someone liked something on Facebook..." I was nearing the last two emails now. "Homework... Mme. Gertrude!" I cheered, smacking a hand over my mouth realising how loud I was. Anxiously pulling it open, I scanned it's contents before once again letting out a whoop of excitement. I had a call back for tomorrow at noon in studio sixteen.

Quickly turning off the kettle, I poured the hot water into my mug and took it upstairs, restraining myself from sending a text to Alya or Nathanael. I wasn't supposed to talk about it all; in fact, ranting about how nervous I was was probably crossing the line already. They both knew that I couldn't tell them if I got in, and they were fine with that. After all, Alya was probably in the same boat I was.

Settling into bed, I took another sip of tea then put it on my nightstand, lying down in bed and finally putting my thoughts to rest.

When I woke up to my alarm blaring, I practically leapt from bed and bounded down the stairs two at a time, nearly slipping and falling on my face several times.

"Mom!" I yelled, sliding into the kitchen.

"Yes?" she responded, turning from the pot of oil that was on the stove.

"I got a call back!" I exclaimed, smiling so wide I thought my face was going to crack in two.

"Congratulations! I'm so proud of you!" She wrapped me in a massive hug before releasing me and holding me at arms length. "What time do you have to be at the theatre?"

"Two-thirty, for assisting, then I'll stay an extra half hour for my call back."

"Great! I will get you there, then afterwords we can go out to dinner to celebrate."

"I haven't gotten the part yet," I reminded her.

"Yes, I know. But I have total faith in you, Marinette."

"Thanks, Mom." I stepped back, adjusting my t-shirt.

"I'm making doughnuts, do you want one?"

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

At two o'clock I climbed into my mom's pink convertible, lugging my dance bag in with me. Already I was jittering with nerves, my feet moving in a miniscule rendition of the piece I was to perform later. The twenty minute drive to the theatre was silent, though my head seemed to be filled with noise. Music and corrections flooded my memories, my heartbeat keeping a steady beat, almost acting like a metronome. The shops and dwellings we passed blurred into colors and shapes, eventually transforming into pliés, jetés, and pas de chats.

By the time we pulled into the parking lot, I had reviewed my routine probably a hundred times, and I stepped out of the car while tossing a goodbye over my shoulder. Hurrying into the theatre, I rushed to find my classroom, then quickly stowed my bag and slipped on my canvas, significantly less painful, shoes. Snagging my time sheet on the way in, I greeted Mme. Marie, and briefly discussed the upcoming class.

Then I brought the students in.

I joined hands with them, forming a circle of three year olds, all wearing baby pink leotards and tiniest ballet slippers. Dropping hands" we took two steps back, then sat with our toes in the center, pointing and flexing to warm up our ankles. Not three seconds later a little girl named Manon burst into tears. Mme. Marie was trying to console her, but ten minutes later she still had not stopped the flow of tears. Desperately, Mme. Marie turned to be and asked me to take her out to find her mom.

What a goddess I was turning out to be.

Taking Manon by the shoulders, I guided her down the empty halls, her sniffles quieting as she shoved both hands into her mouth. We turned the corner where her mom should've been, but none of the mom's claimed Manon as their own. Sighing, I turned back around, steering the child down a different hall by her shoulders. Suddenly I heard a snort followed by a flood of laughter. Looking up, I saw the blond Not from yesterday, Adrien, laughing hysterically.

"What?" I questioned as I walked, praying that Manon wouldn't burst into tears again.

"N-Nothing," he answered innocently, trying to staunch his flow of chuckles.

"Manon here is very upset, and I can't find her mom."

"I see," Adrien murmured, squatting down to look Manon in the eye. "A little nervous, huh?" Manon nodded. "How about you, me, and Miss Marinette go find your mom, yeah?" She nodded again, and offering his hand, Adrien took one slimy hand in his own while I mouthed a silent thank you.

We finally, after half an hour if searching, found Manon's mom. She was deep in the depths of the theatre, in a forgotten corner and talking on the phone. She quickly hung up and picked up her child, thanking us profusely. Adrien and I shrugged it off, then began walking back. We parted soon after, him promising to tell me what was so hilarious later.

After another hour of assisting in a very, very ungoddess like manner, I had my time sheet signed and my pointe shoes on.

It was time for me to perform a call back piece so fantastic it would blow them out of the water.