Prologue

Prologue

The wind howled across the glimmering surface of the lake. Little ripples disturbed the smooth top of the water. The crescent moon cast an eerie glow across the landscape, and very few stars dotted the midnight blue sky. A lone cat sat on the cold pebbles looking into the deep blue as the water lapped against his paws, as though the lake was looking for comfort. The pale gray tom continued to stare, so intently, that it looked as if he was expecting the lake to tell him something.

“Why...why aren’t you dead?” the murmur was barely audible, but another cat, hiding in the shadows, stalked out to meet him. Her soft pawfalls were silent, and the tom didn’t notice her until she was almost standing over him.

“Ashfur. What are you doing out here, all by yourself?” It was the she-cat Bluestar, former leader of ThunderClan. The wind of her warm, tender breath gently ruffled his shoulder fur. On such a chilly night, even Ashfur was, initially, relaxed.

At first, not recognising Bluestar’s voice, Ashfur whipped around at the voice of the she-cat. When he realised it was only Bluestar, he settled back down, his tail wrapped tightly around his paws. He deliberately hunched himself up, and pointedly ignored the she-cat.

“The others are already asleep. I know it’s been...difficult for you today, but please, for your own sake, come back with me” Bluestar sounded awkward, and weary, as though the day had taken a lot out of her as well.

That day, Ashfur’s very own murderer had very nearly been killed, much to his glee. He felt guilty that he was wishing for a cat’s death, but he reasoned with himself, this was the very cat that had sent him to StarClan. But by some strange stroke of luck, the cat had survived, just. Curse that cat!

The malicious glint in Ashfur’s eyes faded, though it was still clear that he was agitated. He relaxed, and sighed. You’d have to have bees in your brain to stay out in this freezing cold weather.

“Very well” he growled, reluctantly.

The two cats, warrior ancestors with stars in their paws, padded slowly away, back into the forest, and as the moon shone high, in the shimmering night sky, nearly all the cats of StarClan slept.

Out in the heart of the forest, two cats were snarling at one another. The ancient leaders were arguing.

“Hollyleaf, and her brothers, should never have been born! The warrior code that we set down for--” Wind protested, but Thunder cut her off.

“The warrior code is a load of foxdung! We set it down for ordinary cats, these are the Three! They are more powerful than us!”

“We’re StarClan, nothing is more powerful than us!”

Wind didn’t believe what she was saying, but anything was better than agreeing with Thunder. Thunder and his clan always thought that they were the best Clan, the fairest, the bravest. But WindClan had always had stocky determination... She still couldn’t let go the time when Firepaw had to bring WindClan home, back in the forest.

“Don’t be so ignorant, we can’t stop any of the things that happen to our Clans, we can only warn their leaders and medicine cats!”

Both cats were still mystified as to why Hollyleaf had turned out like she did. She was one of the Three, wasn’t she?