Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Fallen Leaves veered off for a third time. They had headed along a straight tunnel, that after the first turn lead upwards. Not once did he get lost, and he hurried along so briskly that Hollyleaf was sure that he’d miss a turn-off at least once. As if he could read her mind, which Hollyleaf, after everything else, would not have been surprised at, said, “Don’t forget, I know these tunnels like the back of my paw, I’ve wandered them for more seasons than you could imagine.”

He purred at the stunned look on Hollyleaf’s face.

“No, I can’t read your mind, but the faces you make say a lot about what you’re thinking!” laughed the ginger-and white tom.

Then, they reached a dead end. A massive boulder was blocking the way.

“Ha! I knew that there wasn’t any prey!” mewed Hollyleaf triumphantly.

“Not here. But behind that rock there is. Anyway, you didn’t believe that I was a ghost? Well...” and he took a deep breath, before running headlong into the boulder.

“No!” she screeched. She turned away, waiting for the crunch that would tell her that her new friend was dead, but it never came.

“Do you want me to tell you how to get over, or what?” called Fallen Leaves from the other side of the stone.

“B-but how?” stuttered Hollyleaf, astonished. But she had already answered her own question: Fallen Leaves had gone through the rock.

“You really are a ghost!” she cried, distraught.

“Well, that was what I was trying to tell you.” called Fallen Leaves, sounding slightly frustrated, “Now, there is a narrow gap between the rock and the tunnel roof. You can probably make it through there. Just you wait until you see what’s on the other side!”

At that moment, she remembered. She remembered when she and her brothers, Lionblaze and Jayfeather, at that time Jaypaw and Lionpaw, had come here to look for lost WindClan kits. The three kits had managed to sneak out of the WindClan camp, come down here to the tunnels for fun, and got stuck behind the boulder. WindClan thought that ThunderClan had stolen them. Hollypaw, Jaypaw, Lionpaw, and Heatherpaw and Breezepaw from WindClan found them, just in time to stop a battle.

But Hollyleaf put the past out of her find, because was so desperate to eat. She scrambled up the boulder in heartbeats, wriggling with ease through the gap, lithe, and thin after so long without proper prey. She jumped down lightly, and looked smugly at Fallen Leaves, who was standing in front of the tunnel wall.

“So, where’s the prey?”

The tom stood aside. There was a small hole in the earth. Hollyleaf crouched and peered into it. It rose steeply upwards, and at the end there was a small spot of light at the end.

“A hole. Great, that’s going to taste fantastic.” Hollyleaf muttered sarcastically.