Chapter 1

~ ~ ~3 Years Later~ ~ ~

"Amersia, hurry up!" An excited voice rang down the alleyways. A pair of footsteps could be heard echoing throughout the streets. An excited young couple could be seen running down the main street of the town. Many bystanders jumped out of the way while others looked on in both admiration and jealousy of their youth. It was early in the morning, and both of the teenagers had slightly overslept. Today was important, and they did not want to be late for what was waiting for them. The couple, finally reaching their destination, was greeted by a brownish-red haired teenager. "You're seven seconds late," he told them, a stern look in his eyes. The raven-haired boy looked back at him, smiling despite being out of breath. "Really? 'Cause I think we made here just on time," he said, acknowledging the older teen. The brunette smiled back. "Welcome, Aven and Amersia." They both nodded, and the older teen looked at Aven. "Are you ready?" Aven shot back a smile. "I've always been ready, Espiol." Espiol nodded, and opened the door to the building. Inside was the smell of salt, whiskey, sawdust and rope. Amersia covered her mouth and nose with her long sleeve. "Did it always smell this terrible in here?" she asked, annoyed. Espiol shook his head. "Nah, Rahs has just been going a little overboard on the whiskey." The moment he said that, a knife, recently polished, flew past his head and hit the wall. Everyone looked at the direction from which the knife was thrown. They saw an old man in about his early seventies sitting in a rocking chair, another knife in one hand, bottle of whiskey in the other. "Now then," Rahs started, "who ever said I was going overboard? For all they know, this could be my normal amount." Amersia looked around the room, and counted about twenty empty bottles. Espiol did the same. "Right," he muttered. "Normal." The moment those words escaped his lips, another knife flew past his head, landing in the post behind him. Rahs glared daggers at him, while Espiol was grinning like a madman. Rahs sighed, and got up out of his rocking chair. "Come with me into the back, young'uns." Aven and Amersia nodded, while Espiol shrugged. As the group approached the back of the room, they could hear laughter coming from the other side of the wall. Rahs opened the door that separated them and the laughter. Inside was a group of men and women, all dressed in some sort of coat and a silver armband. The moment the group entered the room, all eyes turned upon them. Aven felt a chill go up his spine. A large, grey-haired man walked up to Aven. "Aven," he started, "do you really wish to join us?" Aven swallowed hard, all of his emotions welling up. His grief for his father's death, whom he never got to say goodbye to. His joy of being here with Amersia, Espiol, Rahs, and the rest of the Silver Flags. His regret that he fell into despair, only to be dragged back with Espiol and Amersia's help. Aven looked the man, Darius, straight in the eyes. "Yes," he said, confidence in his voice. "I wish to join you, all of you, and become a member of the Silver Flags." Several eyes in the room widened, while some looked on at Aven, seeing an older, more experienced man in their midsts. "Well then," the grey-haired man started, "we officially welcome you as a member of the Silver Flags." The man went into a large container in the back of the room and brought out two things. Walking back up to Aven, the man held out two items. In his right, a silver armband, to signify himself as a member of the Silver Flags. In his other hand, a deep grey/almost black coat, appearing to be newly tailored. Aven happily took both, and put the coat over his light blue button shirt. He then took the silver armband, and put it around his left arm. He had officially become a member, three years after his father's death. He would be voyaging the vast ocean, trading goods and recruiting new members to join the Silver Flags. Currently, the Silver Flags was made up of people of many backgrounds. From failed mercenaries, to former farmhands, even having a member of a different race with them until his death. Or so he heard. Aven had never especially taken an interest in joining the Silver Flags, or even caring about them at all, until his father's death at sea. Therefore he decided that a majority of his time should be spent learning as much as he can, so not to be a burden to them. As a celebration was held later that day, Aven snuck out to a dock that looks out at the ocean. A warm breeze blew past him, and Aven smiled. He failed to notice the silent footsteps until it was too late. Suddenly, a hand was on his shoulder, and a sudden weight on his back. He turned his head, only to be greeted with the warm smile of Amersia. "I got you, didn't I?" she asked, playfully. Aven sighed. "If I say yes, will you get off of me?" Amersia pouted at his response, and slid off his back to the space of his right. "What's up?" she asked, less energy in her voice than usual. Aven shook his head. "It's just that...wow. I'm finally a member." Aven began to recline his back until he was lying down on the dock. Amersia did the same, laying down beside him. They sat in silence for quite a while, until Amersia broke the silence. "Hey," she started. "What do you want to do?" Aven looked at her in confusion. "What do you mean?" "I mean everything. When you're older, what do you really want to do?" Aven thought it out for about a minute. "I guess," he mumbled, but loud enough for Amersia to hear. "I guess I wanna stay with you. Ya'know, as partners." Amersia's face instantly reddened, and Aven didn't fully realize what he had just said until five seconds the words were out. "N-n-not like that! I meant as, like, friends!" Amersia suddenly stood up, averting her eyes from his. "Well, it's getting late, so I have to go. See you later!" she yelled as she took off running. Aven sighed. Another ocean breeze suddenly came over the town. This time, it was slightly warmer than before.