Chapter 1

Sarah's POV:

First day of school, Junior year, hooray...My mom basically dragged me out of bed. I didn't exactly want to come here. As I walk through the hall people turn to look at me thoughts going through their minds. I knew they had questions, but I hoped no one would ask. My mind travels back to 3 months early and my eyes start to wonder. I push the thoughts from my mind.

No Sarah, I told myself, new school year. A new start. This summer never happened.

I start to head towards my first class when a girl stops me. I remember her slightly from last year, but we were never friends. I believe her name is Morgan.

"Sarah," she begins, "I'm so so-"

I ran off before I could hear the rest of her sentence. I already knew what she was going to say. It was the same as everyone else. But don't they understand? Don't they get it? Saying sorry doesn't help, it makes me feel worse.

I hurry into the classroom and find a seat. I take out my notebook and begin to draw. Hopefully everyone thinks I'm working and doesn't talk to me.

~

At lunch time, the first thing I did was look for Nola, my best friend. She stood by me through thick and thin. Finally, I spot her at the corner of the cafeteria. She wasn't sitting by anyone else. Thank goodness! I really don't feel like talking to anyone except her.

I walk over and sit across from her. I smile, "Hey, how's the first day going?"

Nola smiles back and replies, "Good besides the fact that I already have homework." She stuck out her tongue. "Stupid math teacher says we need to 'warm up' for the school year."

I giggled a bit. "Nice."

"And what about you?"

I shrugged, "Eh, it was okay. I'd rather be at home though." I look slightly to my left. "And what about you Ja-."

I immediately cut off. I sucked in a sharp breath.

"Stut?" I heard Nola say quietly.

I shake my head, "I'm okay. Just habits."

We stay silent for a few moments.

Then Nola broke the silence, "Oh, I forgot to tell you there's a new kid."

"Really?" I asked, "What's her name?"

"Him," she corrected.

"Nola," I sighed, "I don't care. You know how I feel about boys. They're all a nuisance."

"Didn't seem that way 3 months ago," she muttered. I pretended I didn't hear her.

She continued, "Anyway he's coming towards us now. I invited him to sit with us since he doesn't have many friends yet."

I looked up from my tray. "What?"

Just then a person sat next to me and I turned to see them. It was a boy. He had dirty blonde hair that was in a quiff and had beautiful blue eyes. Beautiful? What? Fine, I had to admit the kid was kinda cute.

I hid my hands under the table so he couldn't see them clench into fists. Why would Nola do this? She remembers this summer doesn't she?

The boy turned to look at me and stretched out a hand. He introduced himself, "Hello, I'm Niall Horan."

Niall's POV

"Hello, I'm Niall Horan."

She didn't shake my hand. She just stared at her tray of food and pretended she didn't notice. I awkwardly pulled my hand back. Does she not like me?

Nola spoke up, "Um, this is Sarah Stutler."

"Hi, Sarah," I said.

She stayed silent until she suddenly flinched. She looked up and glared at Nola. I assumed Nola had kicked her under the table.

Finally she mumbled, "Hi, Niall. You can call me Stut."

"Well nice to meet you 'Stut'."

Then no one said anything.

After a few moments I couldn't stand the silence.

"Your hair looks nice," I blurted. And it was true. She had beautiful brown hair and when she looked up at me I saw that she had beautiful hazel eyes too. She quickly picked up her notebook and tray and moved to another table.

Did I offend her? What did I do wrong? Nola read the look on my face and said, "Don't worry about it. She's just shy."

"Why is she so up set?"

Nola was quiet for a moment before she replied, "I think that's for her to tell, but for now I wouldn't ask any questions. She'll warm up to you."