Chapter 2

Niall's POV

It's been two weeks now. Nola was right, Sarah was starting to warm up to me. After the couple of days she sat next to me! Then the next week she actually talked to me. She still seemed closed off. I have no idea what happened this summer, but I'm determined to find out.

"Niall!" I heard someone call. I turned from my locker to see Nola rushing towards me. She seemed jumpy today.

I laughed as she slid trying to stop and bumped into me. I grabbed her arm, steadying her.

"Hey, Nola. What's up?"

"There's a party at my house this Saturday and you're invited!" she squealed.

"Um, is Stut coming?" I asked.

"I haven't asked her yet. Why?"

"Nothing," I replied, "Anyway, I have to study for the test."

"What test?"

"In uh-biology n-next uh-Monday."

She smirked. Dang! I can't go to the party. Especially is Sarah's going to be there.

"The test is Thursday smartie. I understand though..."

Wait, what? What does she know?

"You're just to scared she won't say yes," she stated.

"What?" I asked.

"It's completely obvious! You so have a crush on Sarah!"

I turned my head back to my locker and started pulling out next period's books.

"Awwww! You're blushing!"

"Bye, Nola," I muttered as I started walking down the hall.

"Niall! Come back please. I didn't mean to be rude or anything."

She quickly caught up to me and grabbed my arm, spinning me around.

"You know she likes you too? She just won't admit it. Please at least consider coming."

With that she turned away and started to jog so she wasn't late for next period.

Was it really that obvious I liked Sarah? Nola said that she liked me too. A smile spread on my face, but it quickly faded. As if! She rarely actually talked to me let alone looked my direction. I have no chance with her. Even though her hair was beautiful and her eyes seemed to sparkle. Her smile could just light up my day.

Snap!!!

I was pulled out of my day dream. I looked up at my glaring math teacher. "Mr. Horan," he said sternly, "I asked you what x would be equal if 3x squared plus 12x minus 36 equals 7?"

Sarah's POV

Two weeks now. Going into the third week of school. Evidently everyone was now fed up with my sullen behavior. They didn't feel bad for me anymore. Which I guess is an upside cause I didn't like them feeling pity for me. I felt weak, but I've always felt weak since... They weren't friendly towards me either. As I walked down the hall towards my locker I could feel their stares through the back of my head and hear them muttering names as if I couldn't hear.

"Emo."

"Gothic."

"Attention seeker."

"Fat nobody." Some I choose not to repeat. Every mean name you can think of pretty much.

Smash!!!! As my arms flew out to break my fall, my books when flying all over the floor. I landed awkwardly on my arm and pain flared up it. Cradling it I sat up. Of course, now they were tripping me. I looked around and saw everyone had deserted the hallway. I started to pick up my books and pain once again flared up my arm. I winced and took a deep breath.