The Blackest Night

Anna

Anna awoke to the sound of fists pounding on their door. She found herself in the bed lying next to her grandmother and realized she must have been carried to there at some point. It was well before dawn, no light came from the windows. The fire had long since gone out and the room was cold and dark.

The look on her grandmother's face was one of sheer terror. The wrinkled skin had drained of color and her hands dug into Anna's arms, clutching the child in a death grip. Anna heard the crack of wood splintering, the old worn lock on their door no match for intruders who slammed against it. Before either had the chance to move, the heavy door swung open, banging loudly against its frame and a swarm of soldiers materialized in the small one room flat.

They were shouting, speaking so quickly Anna could scarcely understand the words coming from their mouths. The room seemed to be exploding in a jumble of sounds, shouting, the smell of gunpowder, glinting steel, and shiny black boots. One particularly large man grabbed her grandmother by the shoulder, pushing her forward as she stumbled from the bed. Her gnarled hand reached out desperately for Anna but succeeded only in grasping empty air.

Anna remained on the bed, paralyzed, unable to move a single muscle, her eyes glued to her grandmother. They were asking Grandmother something, something Anna couldn't understand. The large man pushed the old woman to the floor. Wearing no more than her thin nightshirt, Grandmother fell to her knees, shaking, looking up at the soldier with tears streaming down her leathery skin. She held her hands held above her head, pleading with him. The soldier's face registered only disgust. Anna watched as he spat on her grandmother.

"Get up!" he roared. The old woman struggled on all fours, thin boney arms pushing against the rough wood, trying to rise. When she did not comply fast enough, the man kicked her in the stomach and Grandmother doubled over crying out in pain. Grabbing her again the soldier pulled the woman roughly to her feet forcing her out the door with the sharp end of his weapon.

Anna still did not move, staring in shock, at the horror before her. She wanted to hold her hands over her ears, to close her eyes, to block out the unfolding scene, but she could do nothing but stare wide eyed, unable to turn away. The world seemed to be moving in slow motion and yet everything was happening so quickly. It was a rough hand on her shoulder the pulled her attention.

"You will answer me when I speak to you!"

The man standing over her was terrifying. He was young, not quite a man in fact. Maybe no more than sixteen, but with his pock-marked face contorted in rage, and fiery green eyes glaring down at her, he looked like a demon from the very depths of hell. Anna's mouth was dry and her body was shaking all over. She had not even heard the question.

"I said talk you little bitch!" He raised his hand as if to slap her and Anna's eyes transfixed on his open palm. She could not understand what was happening. As he moved to strike, Anna saw an arm reach out, catching his wrist and staying his hand.

"Now, now, Allester. You must remember, one catches more flies with honey." She saw him, the man who had saved her. He was older, head covered in thick, dark brown hair, peppered with flecks of gray at the temples. His face was calm, not at all angry. "You'll have to forgive my friend," he said, voice warm and gentle. "He does not understand how to treat a young lady." Anna stared at the man blankly as Allester scowled at her.

"But Lieutenant Kern" he said. "We must find the book."

Kern held up a finger to silence the young soldier, "All in good time," he said, smiling kindly at Anna.

At the word "book" Anna's heart began to beat faster, thundering in her chest, echoing in her ears so loudly she feared the soldiers could not help but to hear it. She swallowed hard, feeling sweat begin to form along her forehead in spite of the cold. From outside she could hear the sound of men shouting, with an occasional whimper from her grandmother. Grandmother! She could not hear what they were saying but she continued to stare straight ahead hoping beyond hope that her grandmother would reappear, that this was all just a dream. Suddenly, the shouting grew louder and then a loud bang filled Anna's ears, scarcely muffled by the thick wooden door.