Chapter 1

Four hours ago, Tony came home to one of his nightmares being played out. There was a small van parked just outside the door and several boxes had been loaded into it, with more lining the foyer wall. Tony stood paralysed as he watched Pepper run the final boxes into the van then started carrying out several bags of what he assumed to be clothes.

"You weren't kidding, were you?" he shouted from his car, throwing the donut he had been eating away as his appetite disappeared completely. Pepper jumped at his voice and shrugged, her thin voice only just carrying to where he stood. "I told you. I can't do this anymore Tony. I can't stand by as you risk your life again and again."

"So what, you're just going to abandon me?!" He slammed the door shut and stalked over to where Pepper was pulling the van door closed.

"What about Stark Industries? What about all those times I need you there for me?" He dropped his voice to a harsh whisper, clenching his fist in an effort to not strike out in frustration.

"You will find a letter on the table containing the terms of my resignation. As of noon today, you're the CEO of Stark Industries again. As for me, I was offered a job in Admin at AIM" Pepper scoffed, picking up her handbag and opening the passenger door to the van. "I was there for you when you needed me, but you never reciprocated the gesture. I am not going to play nurse and housewife for you anymore Tony. Heck, the only reason I stayed with you as long as I did was because I was ordered by your 'boss' Fury. If I had my way, I would have left with Killian all those years ago. Good bye Tony, and don't follow me." With that parting statement she stepped into the van and sped off, leaving a furious Tony behind. Roaring in anger, he swung his fist at the glass pane and shattered it, the glass shards burying deep into his skin. Hissing in pain but not bothering to remove the glass, Tony stormed inside to the kitchen to his liquor storage. "JARVIS, block any contact until I say so"

"As you wish. Anything else sir?"

"Don't bother me unless someone is dying." Wrenching open the cabinet, he pulled out the 2/3 full bottle of Jack Daniels and twisted the cap off harshly, pegging it at New York's skyline and swigged straight from the bottle.

This was the reason why Tony was now slumped against the kitchen wall, the empty Jack Daniel's bottle long gone and a fresh bottle of schnapps in his hands. Tears coursed freely down his face as he gulped down the sweet liquid, his movements jerky and shaky. A fog had descended over his mind and nothing could penetrate it, not even JARVIS' warnings about his alcohol intake. Wrapping one hand over the top of the bench, it took several tries for Tony to haul himself to his unsteady feet and take a few shaky steps towards the balcony. Eventually making it to the heavy doors, it proved almost impossible for him to open them, but eventually Tony stumbled out to the balcony and collapsed against the glass barrier to watch the sun set. Finishing the bottle of schnapps, thoughts of Pepper clouded his mind and Tony grunted in pain. He brought the bottle down hard against the floor, shattering it and embedding more shards in his hand and arm. A few pieces of glass rebounded and flew up to his face, making little cuts across his cheeks. As he sat back, he felt the corner of his phone poke him in the hip and he thought about calling Pepper to try and talk some reason into her. Scrolling through his contacts, he hit 'Sweetheart' and held the phone to his hear, listening to the call tone.

"Stark. What's the problem" a very un-Pepper voice floated down the line, causing Tony to furrow his brown heavily.