Just Drunk Enough

Two drinks in, sitting at the shiny wooden table, unable to hear my own thoughts due to the booming music, the world slowed down. I sat back and looked around at the pulsing crowd around me. Two weddings had just finished at the hotel next door, and the guests and wedding parties had all spilled into the bar that just a few moments earlier had been almost empty. A girl in a white lace dress and cowboy boots clung to a man in a suit as the music pounded away at us all. A man in a white dress shirt stood in the middle of the floor refusing to dance and refusing to leave. And a slim transvestite in a black strapped dress with long dark hair pulled two drunk groomsmen together, kissing one on the cheek. I smiled looking around at the pulsing mass of people. The man who wasn't dancing caught my eye. He was standing behind the dancing couple watching the girl in the cowboy boots gyrate against her boyfriend. He smiled and winked as he reached out and grabbed the boyfriend's ass. He didn't notice, which we both thought was funny. 

Rachel came back from the bar with my third drink, she sat next to me and slid a Whiskey Ginger into my hand. The music pounded at us. She said something to me and I nodded like I had heard her and we both laughed. 

Strange how with all the sounds around us, with the vibration of the beat and the laughter and shouted conversations the world felt silent. My mind focused despite the alcohol and I saw each moment around me separate, Single moments in strangers lives, Usually gone unnoticed. I watched as a girl with long blonde hair in a tight pink dress spilled her drink on her friend's shoes. I watched a young man in a blue hoodie stare at the group of sorority sisters dancing in the center of the dance floor. 

Rachel nudged my arm and gestured to the dance floor. I nodded and sucked down the rest of my third drink. Grabbing her arm I pulled us both into the mess of pounding pulsing people, and we became our own moment, for someone else to observe.