Reset? (Prolouge)

(A/N: I think this is a prolouge. It's not the proper first chapter anyways n,n Hope you enjoy my first story!)

Reset?

You tried franticly to click no. You didn't want to reset. You had made the perfect life on the surface with all your friends, and everyone was happy. Well. Almost everyone. Sans had been acting a little off. You expected just as much from him though, he was always a mysterious character.

You click no again. Strange, you thought. Maybe it didn't register the first time.

You expected the menu to dissapear. It didn't.

I said no. You spoke into the darkness, annoyed.

What do you want? The darkness replied, sounding angry.

Don't play dumb with me, Chara. You reply as non-chalantly as you could, feeling frustration build within you.

I'm not ,(Y/N), I honestly have no idea what your talking about. Chara snapped back, you could see their form come slowly into view and recognised honesty in their demonic yet reasurring voice.

Then why- You were cut off by a sudden force pulling down on your arm. You thought it was Chara, that is, until you see what lies in front of you. Your hand was hovering over the reset button, which looked strangely malformed, and Chara's eyes were wide. (Y-Y/N) N-no. A-anything bu-

Chara was cut of as a bright light enveloped you. You felt the timeline being ripped away from you. This happened everytime you reset. You tried in vain to hold on to the tattered fragments of your perfect ending. I didn't mean it!  You feel yourself begin to sob as you lose conciousness.

W-What did you do!  Was the first thing you heard when you came to again.

Chara, I'm sorry. I couldn't he- Wait. You pause, feeling your face scrunch in anger and confusion as you looked at their dim ghostly frame in front of you. You had learnt that you were the only one who could see or hear them, and their soul had a permanent bond to yours, hence the whole communicating in thoughts. You glance at them, pouting a little.

I thought you WANTED me to reset. You glare at them with frustration.

N-Not t-t-that type of r-reset.. She sighed. Something about the way they were stuttering filled you with unease. Nothing seemed to scare Chara. Heck, they didn't even have a soul to be scared in the first place!!

What happened to the reset button?  You questioned them. It didn't look right when I pressed it..

I- What makes you think I know?!  They say, beads of sweat forming on their ghostly pale forehead.

You stare at Chara, unblinking. You were stuttering, and you litterally just said that- You were cut off again as Chara spoke.

F-f....fine. I'll tell you what I know about.... that.. button. they said, shuddering involintarily. You wondered how a spirit could shiver, let alone feel afraid..

You nodded slowly, sitting yourself into a more comfortable position.

Chara sighed, taking in a deep breath. O...okay.....Just don't blame me if you don't understand, because trust me. This is a lot to take in... Even for you.

You didn't realize just how right they were.

-----

Chara had told you everything you needed to know to be completely terrified.

They told you first about how the type of reset buttons you had seen were dime a dozen and when they appeared, it was usually only for a split second. What do they do?  You had asked.

I... don't know for sure.... but I know that alternate universes have different reset buttons. They replied.

A-Alternate Universes? You stared at Chara in awe. W-Wait.. You freeze. You mean I might of pressed a reset button from another universe?!  You asked them, feeling conflicting emotions rise within you. How?

Yes. Came Chara's simple, yet informative answer.

Why are you so worried...? You question. Though you feel like the answer was on the tip of your tounge already.

Chara's expression grew tense. The color of your reset button... They paused.

Was RED.

R...Red doesn't always mean bad. You reasoned. This place seems......f-fine. You stutter. No it doesn't. It smells of dust, the back of your mind naggs at you.

You don't understand. Chara sighes, and looks upward. I can feel the dust...and....something else.. They paused, drawing their ghost like finger through the flowers below them.

N...No. You saw their eyes widen as they stood straight up, practically falling over in the process. N-Not here. A-Anywhere but here! They shouted at no one in particular.

Chara...Where are we..? You asked, almost hesitant.

Underfell. They say darkly, not even pausing to look up at you.