~Ascendancy~

~Six~
Ascendancy//domination, advantage, or victory

The smell of the fresh cut grass that was beneath my bright green Nike Hypervenoms permeated the air of the cool British afternoon when we took the field. It took me back to the football arena turned soccer field of my old high school where it was still sunny and eighty-five degrees. My nerves were frazzled and my teeth set on edge as we completed our international walk-out.
"You don't have to sing the anthem of you don't want to." John McClary, our wing's coach had mentioned to me after practice yesterday. "You mean you don't put your hands on your heart?" I'd asked confused, to which there was a resounding no. I took a deep breath and almost missed my name being called. I stepped forward and raised my hand in salute of the students who'd come out to watch this afternoon's match. When the anthem was over, it came time to take the field.
My palms were sweaty but as soon as the referee blew the whistle it was almost as if a switch flipped in my body. I was in game mode.

The first half went well. I'd had two assists and we were leading the East 3-0. The ball had been thrown in from just behind midfield. Andy and Samuel, my two strikers, had fed the ball up inside the eighteen yard box. I moved in at the penalty kick spot just as Andy laid the ball in to the keeper. The goalie batted the ball out so that it landed directly at my feet and time slowed down.
Oh shit. I thought, looking down at the ball.
Oh shit. I glanced at the goal, the keeper was wide to my left still standing in front of Andy shell shocked. I slammed my foot into the ball sending it into the bottom right corner.
Oh Shit! I internally screamed as I watched the ball fly directly into the back of the net.
I took off running arms outstretched in celebration and completed Wayne Rooney's signature slide in celebration. My teammates tackled me into the grass laughing.
"I knew you could do it!" Clara squealed grabbing my shoulders and hugging me tight.

The rest of the match went fairly well, we only conceded one goal and came out winning 3-1. After hitting the showers, Clara and I began to head down to dinner. My normally straight hair was still slightly damp and had drawn up into light waves.
"Omigosh! And the way you planted it, right in the corner! I've never seen a prettier shot! You must've practiced that for forever! I can't believe it! Did you see the look on Keschemer's face?! He knew he'd be no match for that beautiful - " Clara hadn't stopped talking about the game since we'd walked off the field.
"Shit," I swore stopping in my tracks and stopping her mid-sentence.
"What?" She replied.
"I left my tie in the room." I said grabbing at my throat, realizing that the silk noose wasn't in its rightful position. "You go on, save me a seat and I'll catch up."
"Alright," she said reluctantly.
"I'll be fine, go." I said grinning and heading back to my door. As I pulled my key from my pocket, the empty hallway resounded with slow claps and a low whistle.
"Well done, princess."
I rolled my eyes and whirled around.
"What do you want Wellsley?"
"Please love, after your performance today, feel free to call me Jack. Y'know, not many midfielders score on their debut, I honestly can say, I'm impressed."
"Well, I honestly can say that I don't care what you think." I tilted my nose up and fixed my gaze with his.
"Huh," he mused.
"What?" I asked.
"I quite like this." He leaned over and placed his right hand on the wall behind my head and wrapped a strand of my wavy hair  around his left index finger. I could feel his warm breath on my cheeks and my blood ran cold.
I tilted my head to look at where the chestnut strand was elegantly perched.
I looked back into his moss green eyes "You might want to move that hand before I rip it off and beat you with it." I whispered watching an angry fire light within my eyes and reflect in his pupils.
"Always so hostile," he whispered back leaning impossibly closer, "it's a wonder you have any friends."
I let out a short, dry laugh breaking the quiet settling between us. "You know, " I mused pushing his hand out of my hair and wriggling out of his grasp, "you have about as much charm as a dead slug. See you later your highness." I dipped a low, drawn-out, mock curtsy tipped an imaginary hat and made my way down the grand staircase. As my Mary Janes clicked against the hardwood stairs I realized that I just might have won that battle, but I had still left my tie in the room.
_______________________________
Hey guys!
I'm on break again so that means new chapters! I'm really excited about the upcoming few and hope you enjoy this one love y'all! ❤️
Xoxo
-Sav