1

It was a Thursday morning. Ellen chuckled at herself, reminiscing about her past. A Thursday morning, that Dartmouth tee she hadn't worn in over 5 seasons still hung in the back of her set closet, and the smell of lavender wafted from her hair. It was a sad memory, but she could still hear him say that line word for word.

"You have to pick up your script and do the table read in fifteen." Ellen's assistant chirped from the doorway of her trailer in the misty LA morning. October had come to the sunset strip, ripping the trees bare, and bringing fog along with the smog. She smiled, nodding.

"Thank you Rebecca."

The assistant left to allow Ellen to have her privacy as her walkie buzzed. Ellen made her way to the modest kitchen, pulling down a red mug and brewing a cup of coffee. The strong aroma filled the trailer, putting Ellen at ease. She loved the smell of coffee, it brought back good memories. Memories of coffee shops with friends, coffee talks on set...

Gently Ellen took the mug with her as she looked out her window at set. The sun was nowhere to be seen, everyone was flocked with fog. Golf carts shuttled actors back and forth. Ellen watched her friends, seeing them as little dots in the distance. A golf cart flew past her trailer, carrying a man in a blue hoodie. Probably a new extra Ellen decided, sipping the warm coffee. She checked her clock then walked outside to her own golf cart.

Rebecca took her out to the table read room where several other carts were parked. The man in the hoodie was there. He faced an agent or someone of his, so Ellen couldn't see his face but she swore she knew his body.

"Come on Ellen, starting soon." Camilla tugged at her arm to get her inside. Donuts were provided today and fruit bowls.

"So how are you Ells?" Camilla asked as she poured herself tea while Ellen filled her plate.

"Oh, um," Ellen looked into the younger girls kind brown eyes for a moment. "I'm okay. Sorry I got lost in thought before coming in. Busy with projects with Stella's school." She lied, going to sit down at the huge rectangle that was the table. Her eyes had been on that extra. Her stomach was unsettled as she sat. She knew him, she knew she had to.

"Morning beautiful." Ellen cringed at the kiwi accent drawling beside her. Oh poor Martin. He kept playing up his charm, and Ellen was  frankly tired of it. She's said no to his advances for weeks, and he took it as a dig at him. So he tried harder. Showing off for the camera that Ellen was happy with him and greys and the couples but Ellen couldn't care less. He rubbed her wrong. He annoyed her. It happened. She didn't reply to him as Shonda addressed the so called 'classroom'.

Hours passed as they fed themselves between pages upon pages of dense script. Ellen crossed her arms as she read the next scene.

"Everyone has it a miracle dream..."

"Meredith walks out of the scrub room. Pause. Riggs continues to clean his hands, not bothered by her absence. Meredith returns." Betsy was reading the direction between dialogue today for the crew.

"He knocks at the door, says he forgot his keys and says he's sorry for being gone so long." Ellen read, pausing. The entire room fell silent. Camilla made a small gasp as it hit her. Ellen could see Jessica looking down, hiding tears. Her own eyes were stinging. Kelly sighed. The men all took deep breaths. Martin clucked under his breath, "what a shame,"
Before Betsy could continue the direction a knock came on the doors.

A simple knock. It wasn't rushed, no urgency. Just a knock.

"Let him in." Shonda chirped to security as she smiled across the table. Everyone's eyes followed security as they opened the large doors and in walked a man in a black hoodie. The man from outside Ellen noticed. He pulled back the hood and Ellen's heart stopped. She had known the man. She had known him for 11 years of her life from 35 to 46. Then that 12th year he had left. He was out of her life for good.

"I've been gone too long." Patrick Dempsey chuckled at the classrooms odd looks, running a hand through his salt and pepper curls. Ellen didn't know what to do. She was frozen by the whirlwind of emotions inside of her.

The cast stood up, Jessica being the biggest person in going up to hug him. No one had anger with him but more of a slight sour taste.

"We've missed you Patrick!" She said, embracing him. Patrick was well, complicated. He hugged Jessica back but stared at Ellen the entire time. Blue eyes met green with emotion. Ellen looked ready to cry while Patrick put on a strong face for everyone.

"If you were ever offended by me just know that was all press not me, I would never trade you for the world. I'm sorry I left. I-" everyone cut him off with messages of forgiveness except Ellen. She sat back, watching still. Was this even real? Why was he back?
God why could she not stop thinking about the way his lips curved into a smile...

"That scene will be voice over. We're filming him coming back...and Ellen if- it was a difficult choice but he will sign on for flash backs and dreams..." Shonda began saying, trailing off as Ellen looked between her and Patrick with his gaggle of people. Always around him. Martin stood off to the side. Jealous. Of course. Ellen sniffed, trying to hold herself together.

"I can't agree to anything now. I need time with him. Shonda. If he is coming back I-we have to be honest. We had an affair for years. You were one who never caught us but i- he broke my heart Shonda. " she explained, holding everything inside. Shonda laughed,

"You think I didn't know? Oh child oh child," she teased her. "I knew. It gave you amazing chemistry."

Ellen hung her head in shame for a moment. She looked back up to see Patrick's gaggle of friends disperse. He stood, his arms clasped. He didn't want to approach her if she wasn't ready. Camilla looked between them and made a distraction.

"Hey guys, lets go thank the food trucks for supplying us this morning. It's pretty early for them," She waved the cast out of the door. Shonda followed.

It was just Patrick and Ellen in an empty room.