Chapter 4

Kayla

Ugh, I finished my pizza hours ago and switching from Snapchat, to Instagram, to Twitter then back again is getting kinda boring.

Irene: kay whatchu doing rn

Me: being bored

Irene: well I'm at your front door so open up

"Wow, just let yourself in."

"Yep." She plops beside me on the couch.

"Didn't I lock the door?"

"Yea."

"And how did you get in?"

"Remember that key you lost, and then you made a new house key. I found the other one and just kept it."

"You have issues." I shake my head. "Didn't you have a new job offer?"

"Yea, I actually just got back from it.

"How was it?"

"It was great. Where's Kevin though?"

"He went out to 'run an errand' he said."

"Probably a gang meeting."

"That's what I thought." I tell her.

"Oh my goodness, I bet he went to give another tattoo." Irene's eyes go huge.

"I feel like that too now that you mentioned it."

"Kevin's wild, he over here giving tattoos in a gang he's in." She laughs. "You think he gave himself those tattoos?"

"What? No, of course not. Why would someone give themselves a tattoo? He even has one on the back of his neck, he can't give a tattoo like that." She laughs again.

"Why do I low-key wanna join the gang?"

"Join the gang? Are you crazy?"

"I'm obviously not, I don't even know how to join a gang."

"Good, and it should stay like that."

"You think Kev would hook me up with a tattoo though?"

"Irene!"

"I'm kidding, yeesh." She chuckles. "What are we gonna do now?"

"I don't know."

"Kev's gone, isn't he?"

"Well yea."

"How about you get some information?" She nudges my arm.

"Oh my god, I can't."

"Why?" She slumps.

"I already looked through his phone. I don't think I can snoop anymore."

"Still don't get why you're so afraid to do this."

"I don't know, I feel like I'm betraying him. I just don't think I should." She rolls her eyes.

"You think you're betraying him? Do you even remember the amount of times you've cried because of this? And still he never told you himself. And you think you're betraying him, ok."

"Stop it."

"Stop what?"

"You always say that and sound super persuasive because it sounds right."

"Maybe I am right."

"Irene, I'm not trying to do this right now."

"What? Accept the truth. You haven't this entire relationship with him because he's never told you the truth. Everytime I see you leave with him, you come right back crying. You know what that tells me, you know what that does to me? To see a guy with my best friend and all he does is make her cry. I don't know about you but that's fucked up. But ok, if you think you'll be the bad guy here then fine." She pulls out her phone and angrily plays Flappy Bird.