Chapter 1: The New Old Me

Just wanted to say thank you very much to my amazing cover designer and editor SkyBluez 

************************************************************************************************************

I never thought that heartbreak would hurt, not like this. Pain gripped my stomach pushing its way down my legs so that I fell onto my knees. I couldn’t tell if I was crying or if it was the burning rain crashing against my skin. Rain poured in torrential buckets onto the street where I was kneeling. I could barely see anything in front of me, so even if I could walk I would have no idea where to go. Then the hand came, the same hand that always came, I would grasp it and all the pain would go away, but as soon as it had helped me up and I looked to see who it was I would wake up a shivering mass on my bed, sometimes soaked in sweat and feeling sick. Other times I would wake snuggled into my pillows feeling warm and comfortable. Those were the few lucky days.

Today was not one of those days. Today was one of the days I woke up feeling like crap. I woke as late as I always did; I tend to sleep through my alarm. I rolled over to stare at the celling. Sweat was on my face and I disgustedly pulled off my oversized t-shirt I slept in. I walked sluggishly to the bathroom praying that no one was around to see me in nothing but my bra and panties. Luck was on my side today.

“Hello my little princess!” my father said as I slouched down the stairs after my shower, my mother sat ready at the table and gave me a worried look, she always checked in on me while I slept and I obviously did not sleep quietly last night. I had a bad habit of crying and turning in my sleep.

“Morning dad,” I monotoned my greeting trying to sound indifferent as I ate my toast, “Who is taking me to school today?”

They both looked at each other then back at me. “I am.” my mom said giving my dad a look.

I sighed; it was obviously another speech day today. She gave them to me often in the last couple of months. She told me to find new friends and that change was good sometimes, she didn’t know. How could she? It’s not like I wanted her to know, she was so perfect in everything except parenting. She ran this small town like it was her doll house. Her little world full of pawns and playthings. She was a retailer and therefore kept up the happy and perfect spell cast over the place. I Used to fit in with it perfectly too and now that I don't she finally pays attention to me.

She didn’t know the story at all.

I would rather keep it to myself than tell the entire family. I really wouldn’t want my parents do know that the boy I had been dating four months prior and had charmed them so well was only after one thing and when he got it he told everyone about it and they left me…All my friends and even a great deal of my teachers looked at me oddly now. I was broken hearted at that point. And went around like one of my mom’s dolls only talking when asked, only moving when asked. I was like a Zombie, just less dead. I went from being the blonde haired beauty at the top of the cheerleader pyramid, the grade A student and the class president to the girl with long dark hair that kept to herself, who shunned company and who never took out her earphones even in class.

They used to call me Slut in the hallways after it happened sometimes-even whore. I hated that the most. I was happy my name didn’t rhyme with anything gruesome. Braelyn, I used to hate my name. My mother always had to remind me it meant beautiful and even then I still hated it. My nickname Bree didn’t bother me so that’s who I was back then.

 The girl everyone wanted to be: Bree Vicks.

Now I’m the girl no one cares about Braelyn (The Nobody) Vicks. No nickname, no status…no life. I was pretty sure everyone had forgotten about me, unless it was to give me dirty looks in class. I was the self-proclaimed heartless emo that fell below the standards of a social reject. I was a Nobody…

…Just Nobody…