Chapter 3

She reaches in the bowl and pulls out a card. She opens it and she doesn't have a chance to call out the name when I shout, "I volunteer as tribute!" Everyone around me falls quiet and look at me. I walk up and out of the corner of my eye I see Peeta with tears running down his cheek. I pass Prim and she moves towards me but I shake my head and she stops.

I walk up on the stage and Effie says, "District 12's very first volunteer." She looks down at the card and says, "Well shake hands." Kalen and I shook hands and the peacekeepers took us back to the rooms to say goodbye.

The first person to come in was Peeta. His eyes were all red from crying. I looked at him for a moment and I ran to him. I hugged him and I said with a lump forming into my throat, "Oh Peeta. I'm going to miss you." He smiled trying his best not to cry and said, "I'm going to miss you too." "Peeta what ever you do, take care of Prim and my mom for me." He nodded and a peacekeeper came in and dragged him out.

My mom, step dad, and Prim came in. They all ran to me and all hugged me at once. My mom was crying and Prim didn't let go of me. "Guys...... I know your disappointed in me but-" "Katniss honey, we're not disappointed in you. We're proud of you. We got you something." My mom said. My step dad hands me a Mockingjay pin. I smiled and the peacekeepers came in and my mom said, "We love you."

I stare at the spot my mom was just at. They love me. I don't know why I'm so shocked. Well ever since Peeta and my step dad came into the family they have mainly focused on keeping the family together. As the oldest I do the most by finding a way to keep the family fed. No one really focused on me. But when my mom said those three words, I felt happy for once.

A peacekeeper came in and said, "Ok visiting time is up. Come with me." I walked out the door and followed the peacekeeper. I heard footsteps and a ragged breath shouting out, "Katniss! Katniss wait!!" I turn around and Gale is running at me. The peacekeeper pulls out his gun and points it at Gale.