Preoccupied

The last few chapters have been all about the unsub of this story so I thought I'd switch it up a bit.

Warning: Rated 18A for strong, suggestive and mature content. Please heed the warning. Thank you!

========================

The beauty of being a police officer in a metropolitan city such as Vancouver is the ability to help those that are in need of help. At the end of each day, regardless of how long and tiring that day is, the satisfaction of making a difference in the community always resonates within and that in itself is what keeps Nicolas going back, day after day.

But today is different. The frustration that has been bothering him since that night the unsub left the dead cat in Coleen's car, has been growing into exponential proportion. It's been 3 fuckin weeks and the unsub has not made a move. Nothing! Like the whole incident did not happen at all. If he didn't know better, he might think that he was imagining the whole thing. Well, he wished he was just imagining the whole thing. However, when he sees his family members, he knows he is not the only one that's affected.

Coleen, for instance, refused to drive her car even if it was detailed and washed and not a trace of the dead cat could be found in it. So, she traded it for another brand new BMW. Money really is not an object when it comes to Coleen and she can do that type of thing without batting an eyelash but what really bothers Nicolas is that she's lost that carefree, not a care in the world attitude. In fact, she has now reverted to an obsessive compulsive maniac. For instance, she would check and recheck her car (if she locked it) probably 5-10 times, each time she steps away from it. She sometimes even do it inside the vehicle and she can clearly see it's locked. She's also been staying at their parents house since she came back from that weekend at RJ and Maine's house. Their mom tells Nicolas that she sometimes screams during the night when she has nightmares, reliving that night.

And then there's RJ and Maine. RJ took an indefinite leave from his practice because he refused to have his family out of his sight. They've moved to their South Surrey home since that last incident. The tiredness and tenseness that Nicolas sees from RJ and Maine's faces are a testament that this whole thing is affecting them even if they try to cover things up.

And this is why, he, being the police officer that he is, is at the brink of explosion. He feels helpless that he is not able to end this for the sake of his family. Every single day, he racks his brain on things that they might have missed, things that they might have overlooked. But nothing. Everyday, he checks the database to see if the fingerprints they collected from the two sites of attack matched any new ones. But again, nothing. So, to say that he is frustrated, is an understatement.

He had been putting extra hours at work just to get the frustration out of his system, which in turn caused some tension between him and Joan. Just the other day, Joan got really upset with him because they were supposed to go out for dinner and movie but he was totally preoccupied with his investigation that he totally forgot until Joan called him. Of course, he dropped everything and was at her place in under 10 minutes but when he got there, Joan was already pissed like a raccoon being chased out of it's home. Have you ever seen an Italian woman get mad? Nope? Well lucky you, because I have. It took less than 10 minutes from the time he got to her place to the time her door slammed in his face.

Nicolas tried to talk his way back but Joan was having none of it. He even tried to use his spare key but she had already barricaded the front door with the sofa. Yes, Joan is petite and a lightweight but she is strong when she needs to be. So he drove home that night more frustrated than before. That was 3 days ago. He's been sending her test messages after text messages but no response. He's left hundreds of messages on her voicemail but still no call back.