Chapter Two • Curious

Armin's tightened his grip on the key between his fingers as he tried to lock the door

Armin's tightened his grip on the key between his fingers as he tried to lock the door. He jerked the key sideways, and held it tight enough to turn his pink fingertips white. With a tense puff of his cheeks, he tried one more time to lock up the front door. After a final struggle, and being seconds from giving up, the key turned sideways and the lock clicked. Wretched piece of junk, he silently complained while pulling the key from the lock. The ring of keys jingled in his hand as he put them in his pocket.
Three weeks had passed, and though it was still quite warm outside, and no chilly breezes told of the autumn weather being on its way, school was starting. The last few weeks of his liberties were spent out running errands and preparing for the new school year. The last week left was especially busy. Not just for the Arlert household, but for all the other kids and parents in town. Technically, thought Armin, it was still summer, but it appeared that the school board didn't think so.
He stepped down from his porch and trudged down the driveway, down to the sidewalk. The weight of new books and supplies stuffed in his backpack was something he would have to get used to. Fortunately for him, the walk to school was short. It wasn't scenic, and there were places he would pass that he didn't like to be near, but at least it wasn't a nine-hour journey on foot. On his way, a few other kids passed him on the sidewalk, and some walked across the street in his direction. Some of them looked energized; some looked scared; and some even looked anxious as the day is long. But what really caught Armin's attention was a couple kids walking side-by-side.
An attractive dark-haired girl was listening to the brunet beside her, who had bright, enthusiastic eyes. They seemed to be caught in deep, enthralling, and exciting conversation. The brunet was waving his hands around sharply, emphasizing whatever he was sharing with his companion, who was looking at him with a strong sense of understanding and interest.
Armin couldn't watch them for long, because they had walked quite a ways ahead of him, but he never could've avoided seeing the passion reflecting in the outstanding brunet's eyes. Why anyone would be so hyped for their first day of school, he wasn't sure. But he hoped that whatever it was that excited him, he continued to enjoy himself.

At the end of the day, Armin replayed in his mind the events that had occurred, such as having attempted to open the wrong locker for about five minutes, while his was only one locker over, and almost running into a couple people while making haste to be on time to his next period. He hadn't even left school yet as he was sorting through all that happened. Though, he was pulling out a few things from his locker and was about to leave. As he pushed his locker shut and turned away, he caught sight of a familiar face.
It was the pretty girl from that morning, who walked beside the brunet. She was alone this time, however, and Armin wondered where her excited friend was. He hoped nothing happened to him on the first day. Given the concentrated and determined look in the ravenette's smoky eyes, and the hurried buzz about her, he suspected something was a bit off. That's unfortunate. He watched as she rushed to the heavy front doors, pushed her palms against the bars, and left, picking up her pace as she stepped outside. In a matter of moments she was out of sight.
Armin blinked and returned his attention back to his locker. He swiped his hand to close the door, but upon hitting nothing but air, he recalled he had already closed it. Pulling his backpack up onto his shoulders and adjusting it a little, he straightened up and made his own way to the door, while avoiding the other teenagers in the way. He leaned sideways against a heavy front door and pushed the bar with his arm, then slipped through the narrow opening the door had made before he opened it all the way.
A moment later, he checked his phone, and scanned over the time. At that moment, he decided to head to the library instead of heading home. It took about twenty minutes to get there on foot. Yet he knew he'd have a good while to himself at the library, even with the time it would take to get there from where he was.
"Hello, Armin," a disembodied voice greeted him as he walked into the library.
"Hello." Armin looked to his right and saw Frieda, a respected young co-worker, sitting at the front desk, looking down at something he couldn't see. "Where are the other volunteers?"
Frieda sat back and lifted her eyes from whatever it was she was reading. "They're probably at home. The school started back up today, right?"
"Yes, it did. I didn't think about that," he admitted. Making his way to the back room, he dropped his shoulder and allowed his backpack strap to slip off. He caught it and let the last strap slide off his other shoulder.
Before he reached the door to the back room, Frieda informed him: "Mina's here. I forgot to mention that she's the only other volunteer here today."
"Oh, okay," he looked at her with gratitude, "thank you." He then pulled the door open and disappeared into the back room. He was quick to put his backpack away and stretch his shoulders. The rest of the evening was spent at the library putting books back, sorting them, cleaning up chairs and tables, assisting visitors, and picking up other peoples' deserted messes. Only after it had gotten quite dark out did he gather his things and head home.

    "I could've gone to the store while I was out, Grandpa. I'm sorry about that," Armin apologized. He'd gotten home a few minutes ago, and Mr. Arlert had explained that they were needing a few things. "I can go back out if you want me to."
    Mr. Arlert tilted his head to the side and nodded a little bit. He looked a bit hesitant, so his grandson went on.
    "I won't be long."
    "You can't drive yet, though," Mr. Arlert pointed out thoughtfully.
    Armin looked down. "That's true. Um . . ." He pursed his lips in thought, and his eyes trailed from here and there. When he looked back up at his grandfather, he suggested, "Why don't you take me there. I'll go in and get what we need, so you can stay in the car and relax."
    Armin's grandfather paused again. "That'll do, I guess." He shuffled over to the kitchen counter and stuck his hand into a shallow bowl, pulling out a leather wallet. "Are you ready to go?"
    "Yessir." Armin dipped his blonde head in reply. "Wait. Let me put my bag away." He swung his backpack off his shoulder and walked upstairs into his room. He tossed the back onto his bed and closed his bedroom door as he left it. The thudding of his feet on the stairs sounded as he hurried down the stairs, and it was stopped after he landed by the front door, at the foot of the stairs. "Okay, ready," he called to his grandfather, who was now tucking his wallet into the pocket on his pants and making his way to the front door.
    As the elderly man was within two feet of the door, Armin unlocked it and pulled it open. He followed Mr. Arlert out the door and turned to lock it, only struggling for a moment before it decided to lock appropriately. He shoved the house keys back into his pocket and met Mr. Arlert at the car. He hopped in the passenger's side and, once the both of them were buckled in, they left the driveway.
    "How was your day?" Mr. Arlert asked his grandson after being on the road for a few minutes.
    Armin took a moment to recollect everything before he spoke up. His fingers tapped his thigh, and he shrugged. "It was good. Mina was there today and told me she was shocked to see me at the library."
    "I don't see why she'd be so shocked," Mr. Arlert commented.
    "I don't see why either," Armin agreed, then went on: "She was the only other volunteer there today. I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up being the only one there for a while." He rested his arm on the car door and looked out the window at the passing buildings and streets. He yawned and ran his fingers through his hair. "Also," he suddenly began, then took a moment to calm down and continue, "I saw this guy and girl on their way to school this morning. The girl was really pretty, but what really caught my attention was the guy that she was with. He looked really excited about something. Really excited."
    Mr. Arlert tapped the steering wheel. "Interesting. Did you get to talk to them after school?"
    "No," Armin confessed casually. "That's the thing, though. I saw the girl after school, and I saw her leave, but the guy wasn't with her. I wondered if everything was okay, or if something happened to him, because she looked like she was in a hurry to leave." He raised his eyebrows in sympathy. "It would suck if something happened to him on the first day."
    "I wouldn't be too worried about it."
    Armin was a bit disappointed at his grandfather's response. But if something did happen to him . . . He exhaled and relaxed. He knew his grandfather was right, though. He really shouldn't be worried. I'll see the both of them tomorrow, he assured himself silently, then decided to ignore the anxious thought.