Chapter 12

Dayle shrunk back against the headboard, unsettled by the appearance of the box. Could this be him? Was this his TARDIS ship that River had spoken of? She was uncertain but hopeful.

The doors then squeaked open and the Doctor emerged looking a bit disoriented but also very relieved. He surveyed his surroundings, then spotted Dayle cowering on the bed. His face broke into a proud grin.

"Dayle Moss. You don't do things by half do you? You've brought me directly to your doorstep. Well done!" He bounded forward and grabbed her up in an enthusiastic hug.

Except where her girls were concerned, Dayle wasn't much of a hugger. But her heart jumped in her chest when he pulled her in for the celebratory embrace. She felt warmth and gratitude coming from him. It was like they already knew each other, like it was a reunion.

She felt the butterflies in her stomach as she had from their previous psychic encounters. Their connection was intense. It went beyond telepathy. She pulled away first, a bit disconcerted.

He appeared not to notice and jumped right in. "Right, so you need to show me the stone. The rock looking thingee that you carry with you wherever you go." He looked at her expectantly, hand held out.

"Hold up. What on earth are you talking about?" But before he could even answer, she knew exactly what he meant, but was absolutely mystified by what it could possible mean to him.

The smooth stone given to her by her miserable Aunt Lucy when she was little, probably just to shut her up. Aunt Lucy hated children and dealt with Dayle and Lynette as little as possible once they came into her care. Dayle's mother had committed suicide when Dayle was only three. Netty had been six and at least had some memories of her. The stone was all Dayle ever had. Her Aunt Lucy said it was her dead mother's good luck charm. Dayle hadn't found it to be much of one.

After all, she'd had the rock with her when she learned that her estranged father had died in a drunken car crash. They'd never even held a real conversation. She'd never gotten to know him. She read about it in the paper. His new family hadn't bothered to inform her.

The stone had been in her possession when her first live in boyfriend Stuart had put her in the hospital with a broken nose and fractured eye socket. Nine year old Savannah had watched from a broken window in their tiny trailer as the ambulance took her away.

She'd had the rock with her the night she was walking home from her job at Lochte's Tavern and was attacked by a customer who had been flirting with her all night. Raped and left in a heap unconscious for some kids to find on their way to school the next morning. Savannah had been eleven then. She'd woken up to find her mother had never made it home. Naturally the man was never charged. Dayle had been flirting with him back at the bar after all. She had alcohol in her system and was dressed in booty shorts and a skimpy top. You can't rape a slut, everyone knows that.

And she'd had the so-called lucky rock nearby the night she'd overdosed on heroin and a sixteen year old Savannah had found her and performed CPR on her until the ambulance arrived to revive her with a shot of Narcan. Savannah had been certain Dayle was dead and had cried so hard she'd thrown up and had broken blood vessels in her eyes for days after. And she never left her mother's side in the hospital. Refused to go anywhere with Aunt Lynette.

The Doctor's expectant expression grew into concern as he watched her overtaken by a wave of guilt and grief. She kneeled by the tall floor lamp and rifled through her denim backpack. She handed him the stone, her face turned away from him to hide her tears. She didn't even care to know anymore why on earth he'd want the damn thing.

He took the Focusing Amplifier from her, turning it over in his hand.

"Dayle..." he began.

"My good luck rock." Dayle's voice was thick with tears. "Passed down from my mother who hung herself when I was three. That was certainly good luck, wasn't it?" She laughed ironically and sat on the floor, finally turning her face up to look at him. "I had it with me through every shitty thing life has thrown at me. Through every decision I thought was best at the time that came back to bite me on the ass. And it stayed by my side as I fucked up my life and the lives of my kids. Made my family and friends hate me. Lucky me, huh?"