chapter twelve

"Bad idea, bad idea. This was a really bad idea," I chide myself, gnawing nervously at my bottom lip. Xing Cai smacks my arm.
"Actually, it's not. It's one of the better ideas you've had in a while. Just stop stressing out about it," is her stern reply.
"If I may be so bold, ladies," Guan Ping pipes up from his place next to Xing Cai. "What exactly is the problem? I'm completely clueless..." Xing Cai shakes her head and mutters something that sounds like "well there's a surprise," before leaning in and whispering something in Guan Ping's ear.

"Ooh, called it!" I turn towards the two of them, eyebrows raised.
"Called what?"
Xing Cai groans again, louder this time.
"(Y/N), literally everyone knows you've got an eye for Master Zhao Yun, except for maybe the man himself." I fail to make a dignified response, resulting in me performing a couple of strangled noises in the back of my throat.

"Speaking of which, there he is now," Guan Ping states, gesturing to Zhao Yun who was making practice swings and thrusts with his spear. I take an unsteady gulp, and make my way over to Zhao Yun. It's taking all of my concentration to prevent my knees from buckling.

"G-good morning, M-master Zhao Yun..." I can practically hear Xing Cai smacking her head against the wall.

"Ah! Good morning, Lady (Y/N). May I be of assistance with something?" Zhao Yun says all of this with a jovial grin. He's so pure...

"I was wondering...maybe you'd like to train with me?" A few seconds of silence pass, and I can feel the blush on my cheeks. I quickly thrust my hands out in front of me and avert my gaze.

"I-I mean-! That is if you want to! I'm sure you're busy I didn't mean to-"
"I would be honored!"
-------

"So me and you...against Xing Cai and Guan Ping? You are quite the warrior, Master Zhao Yun, but I'm not sure I like our odds..."
Zhao Yun arches an eyebrow in question, but a playful grin is quite present on his face.
"Whatever do you mean, Lady (Y/N)? I don't believe in losing!" He thrusts his spear in the air before leveling it on Guan Ping.
"I won't go easy on you, son of Lord Guan Yu."
"I wouldn't expect anything less, Master Zhao Yun."
And before I even have the chance to blink, they are charging at each other. The physical prowess each of the young lords share is incredible, and I stop for a moment to watch. But while I watch, Xing Cai takes the opportunity to check me to the side with a wooden version of her shield. I can already feel the bruise forming on my shoulder.

"Ass!" I yell at her, brushing dirt off my clothes. I switch sword hands, and begin to retaliate.
-------

It takes all of my will power not to faint when my back is pressed up against Zhao Yun's. Even with all the cloth and armor, I can feel the shape of his muscles and the warmth of his skin. We and Xing Cai and Guan Ping stand at a deadlock, the latter two approaching both of us steadily.

"I believe we make quite the team, Lady (Y/N)!" Zhao Yun beams, tossing me a grin over his shoulder. The smile I wear almost breaks my face.
"Well then, Master Zhao Yun, I'll make sure not to disappoint you then!" Filled with sudden energy, I rush at Xing Cai, the desperation to please Zhao Yun causing my moves to become immaculate.

"Oh so now you decide to try," Xing Cai grumbles when my practice sword bites into her shield. We go back and forth like this for a while, before Xing Cai shoves me back with a shout. As I'm stumbling back, Guan Ping pushes Zhao Yun away with the flat edge of his great sword. The blade of Zhao Yun's practice spear sweeps me by the ankles and I'm caught in a sudden freefall.

Zhao Yun, on reflex, drops his weapon and reaches out to steady my fall. But alas, he loses his balance as well. And so we both crash to the ground, me pinned under Zhao Yun's broad shoulders.

We're both silent for a while, and then I feel Zhao Yun shaking on top of me.
Oh God, what if I made him mad? If you thought you screwed it up before look at what you've done now.
But then he lifts his head and his eyes are wet with tears, and his mouth stretched into a wide grin. I laugh because he laughs, and I catch Xing Cai nodding in approval and leaving, taking Guan Ping in tow.

Zhao Yun and I lie on the ground and laugh longer than we should.
"I love you so much," the words slip from my mouth without hesitation.

And the silence that comes afterward is deafening.