A New Year

Zero awoke in a panic. He was running late, again. He has always had a problem with timing, always either early or late. While in a hurry to leave he saw the date, Sep. 18th, 2115, a week from his birthday. He has been counting days till his 16th birthday because Mr. Sota had told him last year that Zero’s father had left a special present for him for his 16th birthday, and apparently his mother left one too. Zero has been looking forward to receiving these gifts because he doesn’t really remember his parents too much, since they went on a mission for the academy when he was a baby and didn’t come back. Well that’s what Mr. Sota told him. Zero soon became lost over the thought of the gifts. Suddenly he remembered he was running late for school. He got dressed and grabbed a muffin, his bag, and his goggles, running out the door. Today marks the start of Zero’s 1st year at the Sword Master’s Academy of Combat, or S.M.A.C., with his friends Yuki, Aelita, and Rin. On his way to school, Zero met up with Yuki.
“Hey Zero.” She said smiling, “Late again?”
“Hey Yuki, Yea I never seem to be on time.” He said, “Why are you late?”
“I took too long getting ready. Let’s get moving if we want to make it on time.”
“Yea, let’s go.”
They took running off to school. Once they arrived they met up with the others, Rin and Aelita. They greeted them as they arrived. They started to talk about how summer was and then the bell rang for first period. They all had the same classes, so they began to walk together.
“This is going to be a year to remember.” They said.
They all sat down for class. A person walked in the room who they figured was the teacher. He was tall with white hair, black shirt and pants, and a white lab coat.
“I will be your weapons and abilities instructor,” He said popping his knuckles, “My name is Soko Yukio, but you can call me professor or Mr. Yukio.”
Zero did not seem amused. He never was one to be impressed easily. Impatient he asked when they would get their weapons. The professor must have thought it was funny because he chuckled and explained to him that they will be determining sword styles first and they would begin right away.
“Now before we start, be warned, there are 3 unique styles for combat, close, mid, and long-range styles. However, there is a select few who have the ability to use all these styles. They are known as subetes.” Said the professor.
The kids lined up to choose a sword to use. As they group drew closer to the front they wondered who they would be placed against. In the end, Aelita and Yuki were put up against each other. While Rin and Zero were pinned against each other, the girls match ended in a draw. While the boys ended with Zero winning because he is an subete. Zero’s balance in the skills is what made him important to any team he was put in. After the tests were done the professor announced that there will be 1 team of 4 and the rest teams of 3 due to the number of students.
“The group of four will be Rin Soragami, Aelita Norgami, Yuki Kagami, and Zero Ruki. The rest of you can look on the wall next to me. Your teams will be there.” He said
Once everything settled down the group went to lunch.