Chapter 27: Them

Deep in the dark, damp tunnels, Corey and Mason lies hidden against a wall. They rested peacefully together in each others arms. Corey holds him tight against his chest as they slept. The soft dripping of water begins to wake Mason up from his slumber. He gasps and sits up real fast, looking at his surroundings. He gets to his feet and starts to walk around as Corey begins to stir awake and gets up as he sees Mason.

"What are we doing here?" Mason asks, confused.

"It was the only place I could think of." Corey explains.

"Wait...What do you mean?" Mason frowns at him.

"Scott and Josie can't find you down here. They can't follow your scent." Corey says.

Mason shakes his head, trying to wrap everything around his mind, "Okay, hold on. It's not me.  I'm not even a Genetic Chimera."

"You sure about that?   It was on the bus. After I made us disappear,  I felt something.  I don't know how to describe  it, but it felt wrong.  Completely and totally wrong." Corey says.

Mason's breathing begins to pick up in panic, it can't be him. He turns as he feels Corey's hand on his shoulder, forcing him to turn and look at him.

"And, trust me,   every other second I'm with you  is completely and totally right

"And, trust me,   every other second I'm with you  is completely and totally right." Corey adds softly.

"It can't be me." Mason still denies.

"After we left the bus, I lost  you at the game. Remember?   Where did you go?" Corey asks.

"I went to...I was..." Mason stutters as he tries to think, but, he couldn't. He couldn't remember a single second during that time.

Mason feels his hands begin to tremble, he covers his mouth in shock.

"All those times you  said the Beast showed up?   Everything you said about frequencies. Where were you all those times?   The night at the transmission towers...The observatory downtown...The army base...All the times you said  there were transmissions." Corey says, helping him put it all together.

It was true...he was the beast. He couldn't believe it. He freezes when he starts to realize something and turns to face Corey again.

"Wait. They can still find me. They can find me by frequency." Mason says.

"Who? Scott?" Corey asks, confused.

"No...Them." Mason says again, till Corey's eyes widen in realization.

Mason's body freezes in fear as they begin to hear fluttering and rattling coming from the end of a tunnel. They slowly turn and see the Surgeon walking slowly towards them with his cane. Mason turns to another tunnel and sees another doctor. Mason turns towards Corey and pushes him towards another way.

"Run!" He shouts as they take off running together.

They run down a few tunnels, running as fast as they could go. Gasping and panting. But, everywhere they went, the doctors were there waiting for them. They skidded to a halt when they reached a dead end. But, Corey looks up and sees a grill storm drain. Corey goes first, but stops when they start to hear the Surgeon.