Chapter 5~The final escape

The next morning I got up and looked over to see Marissa laying in her cage "Marissa.....Marissa" I whispered as I threw small pebbles at her cage, she turned around and looked at me "Are you ok Marissa?" she nodded softly and sat up in her cage, I played with the lock on my cage till it finally broke and I crawled over to Marissa and unlocked her cage, I then helped her up and walked out of the room, out the hole and out of the house. As we walked through the woods I kept looking around but there was nothing. After what felt like forever we made it to my house and we walked inside "Kat!" yelled my mother as she saw me and Marissa "What happened?!" "Th...there was a bear....Verona didn't make it" my mom helped me lay Marissa down and made me go call Verona's parents and tell them what happened. After that my mom took Marissa home and I went up to my room and layed on my bed, I couldn't get the image of Verona out of my head. A few weeks later me and Marissa were sitting in the park when I turned to her and said "I know your still in shock of what happened and everything.....but Verona didn't deserve to die....and it's all my fault it happened, i'm the one who said we should go to that stupid house and explore.....i'm sorry Marissa" "I...it's fine Kat, you didn't know anything like that was gonna happen" we sat there in silence for the rest of the time before we finally headed back to my house. But on my way back home I seen something in the woods and it was running towards me, I took off running and ended up tripping over a root and the thing grabbed me and dragged me into the woods.