The Fourth Letter

To Franklin Stein, Australia
June 30, 2318
The North Atlantic Ocean
South of Greenland

As we traverse the pathless sea towards the Pole, I continue dreaming of the mausoleum every night. Each more vivid than the last, and all ending maddeningly close to my touching the silent tomb.
But no matter. Everything happens in its own time. Soon enough I shall reach this tomb and uncover its secrets.
Another phenomenon has found its way to us.
Yesterday, as the crew was going about its business, my First Mate, whom I failed to mention in earlier letters, cried out with panic in his eyes. "There's a kid in the water! He's drowning!" I had only just come out to see him jump into the freezing cold of the sea. After a few seconds of tense apprehension, in which the whole of the ship was watching, he emerged from the blanket of blue, holding in his arms, a girl. She looked barely ten years old. With still more apprehension, the crew stood back from the nigh lifeless form of the figure before them and I stepped forward. Then I saw it. Looped loosely on her wrist was a necklace and on the pendant, an insignia. I reached out for it to examine it more closely. Or at least I tried. The girl woke with a start, coughing as she chocked on seawater. The rest of the crew stepped even further back, as though fearing she might eat them.
After a few seconds of wheezy coughing, she spoke, just above a whisper. "Thank you." And she passed out.
What curious things one can find in the open ocean. You will be happy to know that we will continue to nurse the girl back to her full health as best we can. Take care and I will get back to you as soon as I am able.

Yours most sincerely,
Victor Stein

(PS: Do tell Irene I wish her a very happy birthday and many more to come. You should do the same.)