common fanfiction mistakes

a small list of common mistakes in fanfictions I've seen and even done myself.

this is in no way meant to be a mechanism for shaming people for making mistakes or acting superior about grammar etc.

this is to help new writers, those who struggle with the english language (let's face it, it's a complicated and annoying fucking language even for us native speakers or those who study it, like myself) and anyone who's written or read fics and noticed these mistakes.

a brief note about written English language as we know it.

the english language, as is written down and spoken in RP ('Revived Pronunciation', aka The Queen's English/ posh talk) is a regional dialect.
a regional dialect is the kind of english spoken relative to a geographical place.
different places use english differently.

the way people native to Texas use english will differ from the way New Yorkers use english.
the way a Lancastrian in England uses english will differ from the way someone in Kent uses english.

english as is written as "meant" to be spoken comes from the dialect of a place called Mercia, in southern England, where basically a loads of posh, wealthy and affluent, educated people lived.
because "correct english" is based from a dialect, there is no actual correct or incorrect way to speak english, as far as linguists are concerned.
No right version exists, therefore no wrong version exists.
however, correct grammar, spelling and punctuation (as based from the dialect of Mercia) is essential in written language to avoid confusion on the part of the reading party.

this book

I hate capital letters unless necessary for a noun (name of a thing that exists) or for the first person pronoun 'I', because I think I'm edgy or something.
so basically, my capitalising in this will be fucked, but it will be fucked purposefully.

I'll be using phrases like 'active verb' and 'prepositional' and 'adverb' etc so if you don't know what all of that means let me know and I'll do a chapter just on word definitions etc.

I have tried to make it clear and really detailed, so if the clarity is lost on the mess of my over-explanation and examples, comment telling me and I'll try to explain it in a helpful way, and maybe other people in the comments can explain what I mean better than I can- I wouldn't be surprised by that.