Chapter One: I Am Ivana

•Ivana

"I love you sweetheart."

"I love you too mom."

She gave me a big hug, squeezing me tight like there's no tomorrow. She tucked my loose strand of hair behind my ear, so that my eyes could be seen clearly. She gave me a little peck on the cheek and bid me a goodbye. I'm alone...

Alone again...

*****

I was startled by that dream again. I hear noises, nothing but strange and bizarre noises, it's like someone's screaming right inside my ear, I could hear nothing more nothing less.

Every time I have dreams like this, I usually wake up hearing these creepy noises, they're tormenting me, haunting me, like they're trying to tell me something, and they won't leave me alone until I find out.

I ran not knowing where to go...

I ran as far as my feet would take me.

I covered my ears...

I didn't know how long have I been running until the sounds suddenly minimized. Then it hit me...

I'm near the fast food chain where Pascal works. I just better go talk to him.

After going pass a few blocks, I see the sign 'McDonald's'...then it dawn on me, I'm starving, like what difference did that make...I've always been starved to death. I barely even eat in a day. Luckily, I have Pascal, my best friend, who never fails to remember me despite his busy schedule.

I wanted to go in but...I was worried about what the others would think about me. I stared at my reflection in the glass window that separated me from anyone inside.

I was filthy, my hair was all messed up, my clothes were ragged. I was ashamed of myself, I was fighting the urge of tears to fall down my cheeks. I finally decided to stay outside, hoping he would just happen to pass by seeing me here.

Time passed and still he didn't bother to show up. I started to meticulously search through the hidden pile of garbage just beside the fast food chain.

I saw someone walk outside McDonald's, I thought it was him so I immediately approach him, just when he was just merely a couple of feet away from me, I was dismayed when I realized that it wasn't him. I got mistaken again, I realized that, that was the effect of severe hunger to me.

He was tall, slim and handsome, his presence was intimidating, he was holding a take out in his right hand while his other hand was just freely searching something inside his pocket.

We both paused like we were frozen right on our spot, we almost bumped into each other. I shook my head immediately, already starting to turn my back around and leave...

But I suddenly felt a hand blocking my way...

I stopped quickly before my nose hits his hand.

"Hey!" I quickly turn around to face him, he smiled, it was the first time for me to see him smile, and I think it was beautiful.

He said something.

I was about to tell him that I couldn't understand what he was saying when a car stopped by right beside us.

I looked at him suspiciously, thinking he might kidnap me. But then, why would he...l'm useless and I'm not rich.

The door of the car opened, and a beautiful girl came out. I wonder if she's his girlfriend.

She ordered him to get in, obviously angry.

The guy nodded at her, then looked at me.

He handed to me the takeout from McDonalds. This happens very rarely. Especially from a rich guy like him.

"Thank you." I said, then smiled.

He said something. I think it was 'you're welcome.'

He turned around and went in his car.

When he was finally gone, I quickly opened the brown paper bag. Inside, there were chicken and rice, nuggets, soda, and even McFlurry.

He sure was hungry. I felt bad, he came all the way here just to buy food for himself and ended up giving it all to me. He really is a kind man.

I went back to the place I always stayed in. There was a small dirty chair and an old ragged pillow. There were also some things that I took from the garbage, like a watch and a book about the Philippines. These things were such a waste, I didn't expect anyone to throw them away since they were in good condition.

I sat down on the small chair, made myself comfortable, and started eating the takeout.

This is how I live everyday. This is my home.

Only today, a kind man gave me, a poor and dirty girl, some takeout.

I am a poor, dirty, ugly girl who lost her family and lives alone. I'm useless, I don't know how to do anything. But despite everything, I still choose to be happy. I am Ivana.