The City On Water (1D)

I remember when I was little, I had found this book that had intoxicated me so much you'd never find me without it. It was a story about a girl who goes to Venice, it had everything from mermaids, ghosts and even romance. And I don't do the romance thing, even back then.

But then something happened to the book, my copy vanished and I could never remember the name of it, or the author, even now. It nags at the back of my mind that I couldn't remember the book I had loved so much when I was little, and I haven't found it.

And yet I remember three things mainly from my childhood that revolved around that book, one being it was set in Venice. Beautiful, beautiful Venice that is basically a city on water since the entire place is on beams driven down into the mud, it's just a pity that it's slowly sinking as years pass us all.

The second, was mermaids. Something about mermaids was in it, my mother use to tell me I'd try to paint and draw them and in my parents attic right now is all my crafty little pictures and drawings, as well as books that I use to 'study' about the mythical creatures. 

Now, the third thing that has kept the entire obsession with this with me to the age on nineteen is the fact, the most distinctive thing that I can recall is the fact that, well...

The statues in Venice come alive.