0.6

Emerson

"So how long have you been living in the orphanage?" Calum asked dialling the small square buttons on the telephone as I say myself rather awkwardly on the kitchen bench chairs.
I'm not used to having conversations with people, usually in the orphanage the only people you would talk was either Mrs Braud or the little children, who half barely spoke English.
"Ah I was taken in when I was 8 and I'm 13 now so I say 5 years" I mumbled fiddling around with my finger tips.
Calum stopping clicking the phones numbers and focused his attention on me, leaning himself on the opposite side of the bench.
"5 years? Oh my god. That's a long time" he scuffed turning his head towards the kitchen window.
He was right, those 5 years felt like a life time. Everyday, same routine. It got boring and lonely, the only thing to do was watch the time tick by.
"So.." He said turning his head back towards me.
"Is it ok for me to ask how you got there? It's just that now I'm your adopted dad I want to be aware of your past"
Did he mean my parents?
How I got into the orphanage?
I've never ever spoken about my parents, only when first coming into the orphanage. It wasn't something I liked mentioning but I suppose I have a lot of trust in Calum.
"My dad. He sold drugs to keep food on our table, But he was abusive. Child care wasn't impressed" I said yet again dropping my head in shame.
"What about your mum?"
It wasn't my head that dropped that time. It was my heart.
"Well...Mum mum committed suicide when I was 5, overdosed" at this moment I could feel my eyes swelling with tears. My mum was my everything. She loved me like no one had before.
Calum's hand flew straight to his face cupping his hand and covering his mouth.
"Oh my god I'm so sorry Emerson, don't worry Hun I'm here to look after you" he said lowering his hand and smiling.
At that moment. I. Felt. Loved. Again.

---
Jesus it's been a long time.
So sorry just legit have no effort 😂
Please VOTE AND COMMENT :)