Chapter Six: The Viewing Room

Days later, the 4:44 event (or the Harmonic Convergence as it was now being called,) brought with it an explosion of mystery school Invitation acceptances. This thrilled Alfred. He was certain his improved policies and procedures were at least partly responsible.  

Immediately following the Harmonic Convergence, Alfred had spent day and night studying the Life Books for Zoe Galaxy, Kitty Whitecastle, Noah Harting and Blaze Freedman. Finally, that morning he'd put the finishing touches on the most clever, foolproof enrollment plans yet. Now, sitting snug in his favorite wingback velvet chair while watching the Ceaseless Violet Fire dance, he pondered the mysterious sentence Zoe Galaxy had found in her journal: I live in a meaningless world.  

There was no record in her Life Book of her writing it. He wondered if this was the individualized Invitation delivered by the Office of Qua. If it was, then this question was relevant to her destiny. It was an unusual statement to consider. Alfred couldn't understand how anything could be meaningless. Everything had a function, a purpose, a use.  

For the third time in five minutes, Alfred checked his new pocket watch, which replaced the one still frozen at 4:44. In a short while, Zoe Galaxy's Enrollment's Opportunity would officially launch in her Real Life. Time in Real Life moved much slower than time in Cohaven, especially in the lives of snoozers. Three days in the Qualands could be less than an hour in the Real Life of Zoe Galaxy. Coordinating enrollments often required several real-time manipulations and meant Alfred was always on call in case memories needed to be altered. A task he was in charge of initiating through the Office of Qua. Even though everything had been designed and arranged in record speed and without the usual delays, he was anxious for reasons he couldn't put his finger on. He hoped he'd not been too zealous in scheduling the launch only hours after her acceptance. He was running the risk of frightening her with too much too soon. But his anticipation of the great things she might do, blinded his normally cautious nature.  

Alfred's personal assistant arrived with tea and biscuits impeccably served from a perfectly polished silver tray. Nathaniel Shaw was smartly dressed in a dark blue suit, custom tailored to his petite five-foot frame. Around his neck he wore a shocking orange and purple striped tie, against a pink, French-cuff dress shirt.  

A bold choice. Such a sense of style. Alfred thought to himself. 

Alfred tucked the white linen napkin neatly into his shirt collar. With his pinky extended, he held his teacup by its delicate ear and lifted it to his lips for the tiniest sip. Many mistakenly believed extending the pinky was for show, but it was to done to properly balance the cup to avoid spillage. Something he'd learned from Mind Your Manners, a book written for Aspirants wanting to learn proper etiquette for all occasions.  

"How's your tea, sir?" Nathaniel asked with earnestness of a pleaser. 

The sweetness of honey delighted Alfred?s palate, the tea had not been singed with boiling water, and the cream seemed extremely fresh. He smacked his lips in satisfaction. "Perfect, Nathaniel."  

Nathaniel had been an excellent choice for his personal assistant. After only a few short months, he showed more promise and enthusiasm than anyone else in Alfred's department. During his interview, Nathaniel had confided that he longed to have a Real Life, but only after he was adequately prepared. "Fool's rush in," he'd said. Alfred couldn't have agreed more and had hired him on the spot. 

"I am so glad you find it to your satisfaction, sir. May I inquire how Zoe Galaxy's enrollment proceeding, sir?" Nathaniel asked with unmasked eagerness.  

Fondly remembering his own insatiable thirst for learning, Alfred indicated for Nathaniel to sit in the chair next to him. "Please, Nathaniel, have a seat." Nathaniel sat down, keeping his back perfectly erect and his face attentive and waiting for Alfred's answer.