3. • youth •

It's 2 AM, and we're eating cereal on the floor at your place. There's a standing table a room away, and a new couch behind us. But we'd much rather scoop our cereal on the floor while watching reruns of Friends.

     My legs are sprawled out on your lap. And, since you know my feet are always cold, you rub the barefoot soles of my feet. You tickle them when I laugh at the show in front of us. I laugh so hard I begin to cry. You ask if I'm okay, and I wave to dismiss your concern. 

     "Are you okay?" you ask again, putting your hands on my elbows.

     I shake my head, smile tugging at the corners of my lips. "I'm amazing," I reply.

     What did I do to deserve you? I think. How did I become so lucky?

     It was fate, I conclude. How else would all of this have happened?

     It's true: How, if I didn't have fate by my side, would I have ran into you on the streets, spilling my smoothie all over your shirt? God, I felt so stupid that day. The only though I had when I got home was, "Spilling a drink on a guy's shirt? Really? Why weren't you paying attention?"

     "Because I was on my phone," was my reply. How simple, yet so effective. I mean, who would've thought the latest Kardashian news could bring a girl love? 

+

I feel as if we are in a movie. That we are simply actors in a film, and the teenage girls dream of being in a lovely relationship like ours. Because it doesn't feel real. It is better than real.

     It is our fantasy world. With fairies who fly around carrying magic wands, and who cast butterflies in my stomach when you touch me.

     Frozen in the moment. A picture hung on the wall with the perfect lighting, the sun just rising above the mountains. Smiles on our faces, hands locked together, love in our eyes.

Is it possible that all of this is fake? Nothing but a dream.

     Yes, because it is.

     It is all in my head, these feelings. Just small words to form a sentence. But the words, in reality, were never there. In their place, darkness, and shadows as, one-by-one, these scenes diminish. 

     Gone.

     Out of my head.

     They have to leave—I have someone else's life caged in my head.